TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

View Postnobody, on 27 June 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Sean Kelso@kelsohockey
#flames acquire and sign Dennis Wideman from the Caps in exchange for Jordan Henry and a 5th pick in 2013 Draft
Wideman signs a 5 year contract with Calgary with an AAV of $5,250,000

Man, that team seriously refuses to just accept inevitability, blow it up, and rebuild from the ground up.  If they did this the right way they could have a decent young team in place in 4 years when Jankowski is finally ready to jump to the NHL (I loved his skill set in the draft, but reality is he's crazy raw and needs a lot of time to develop).  I can't believe Feaster still has a job.

#42 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostBullwinkle III, on 27 June 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

According to a Dallas hockey writer, the Stars would like to receive a young center for Ott.  How about Adam?  I think he's expendable.
I thought the general consensus around here was that people wouldn't propose trades such as this without using the /sarcasm or some sort of smiley as an indicator that it was obvious that the other team wouldn't go for it?

While I doubt the Sabres would have to give up anything along with Roy to pry Ott away from Dallas, and quite likely Dallas would have to sweeten the offer slightly; I don't see any way that Dallas would give up Ott for Luke Adam.

#43 sabres1970

sabres1970

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

Is Ott even that good? Someone inform me, I don't think I've watched a Dallas Stars game in five years.

#44 Bullwinkle III

Bullwinkle III

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

View PostTaro T, on 27 June 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

I thought the general consensus around here was that people wouldn't propose trades such as this without using the /sarcasm or some sort of smiley as an indicator that it was obvious that the other team wouldn't go for it?

While I doubt the Sabres would have to give up anything along with Roy to pry Ott away from Dallas, and quite likely Dallas would have to sweeten the offer slightly; I don't see any way that Dallas would give up Ott for Luke Adam.

I hate smileys.

View Postsabres1970, on 27 June 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Is Ott even that good? Someone inform me, I don't think I've watched a Dallas Stars game in five years.

Ott's a gritty player who does an adequate job offensively and is tough to play against defensively.  He's had his share of fights, so he would be roughly equivalent to a McCormick - only better in every category.

#45 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

Kain refused the sacrifice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:10 AM

View PostTaro T, on 27 June 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

While I know I'm wasting my time saying this but I see no way that we could get Ott out of Dallas fairly, in fact I see no reason for them to give up Ott at all, their not rebuilding, their not a cup contender tomorrow either. Ott is a good player for them to get fans in and remain competitive.

I do love how this entire board becomes obsessed with one player over the entire offseason every year. Personnelly if we want that type of player I'd go after the Caps Chimera.

Edited by RazielSabre, 28 June 2012 - 05:14 AM.

#46 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:15 AM

View PostBullwinkle III, on 27 June 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

I hate smileys.

Ott's a gritty player who does an adequate job offensively and is tough to play against defensively.  He's had his share of fights, so he would be roughly equivalent to a McCormick - only better in every category.

Cody McCormick and Steve Ott are very different hockey players.  For one, Steve Ott is actually capable of playing hockey.

View PostRazielSabre, on 28 June 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

While I know I'm wasting my time saying this but I see no way that we could get Ott out of Dallas fairly, in fact I see no reason for them to give up Ott at all, their not rebuilding, their not a cup contender tomorrow either. Ott is a good player for them to get fans in and remain competitive.

I do love how this entire board becomes obsessed with one player over the entire offseason every year. Personnelly if we want that type of player I'd go after the Caps Chimera.

I blame me.  :angel:

Edited by weave, 28 June 2012 - 06:15 AM.

#47 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,253 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

View Postweave, on 28 June 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

Cody McCormick and Steve Ott are very different hockey players.  For one, Steve Ott is actually capable of playing hockey.

I blame me.  :angel:
Why not Ott and Chimera? Combined they make slightly more than Roy and bring a ton of what the Sabres are missing.

#48 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 28 June 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

Why not Ott and Chimera? Combined they make slightly more than Roy and bring a ton of what the Sabres are missing.
I'd agree with Chimera for the 3rd/4th line RW and maybe Ott or someone like him for 4th line C (there are loads of players like him out there). How about Roy and Leopold for Chimera and a 2nd rounder in 2013? We would probably want more from them but I don't know the Caps team well enough atm. Oates in an offensive coach and Roy can put up 70 points and Leopold is a solid 2 way defenseman.

Edited by RazielSabre, 28 June 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#49 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

View PostDeLuca67, on 28 June 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

I'd take Chimera on my team.  I like his game alot.

View PostRazielSabre, on 28 June 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

I'd agree with Chimera for the 3rd/4th line RW and maybe Ott or someone like him for 4th line C (there are loads of players like him out there). How about Roy and Leopold for Chimera and a 2nd rounder in 2013? We would probably want more from them but I don't know the Caps team well enough atm. Oates in an offensive coach and Roy can put up 70 points and Leopold is a solid 2 way defenseman.

There are not alot of players like Steve Ott.  He's not just a grinder.  If you are just looking for a 4th line C then, yes, there are quite a few of them around.  Ott is capable of more than simply centering a grinder line.

#50 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,551 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

View Postweave, on 28 June 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

There are not alot of players like Steve Ott.  He's not just a grinder.  If you are just looking for a 4th line C then, yes, there are quite a few of them around.  Ott is capable of more than simply centering a grinder line.

I'll take Chimera as well.

#51 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

View Postweave, on 28 June 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

We'll agree to disagree. His a 4th line C/W with more ability than usual, 3rd line C/W at a stretch imho.

As I say, we'll agree to disagree. (I have no doubt we both watched him play last year).

#52 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostRazielSabre, on 28 June 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

We'll agree to disagree. His a 4th line C/W with more ability than usual, 3rd line C/W at a stretch imho.

As I say, we'll agree to disagree. (I have no doubt we both watched him play last year).

Well, then you watched him play on the 2nd line for a good chunk of last year.

#53 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:27 AM

View Postweave, on 28 June 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

Quite frankly with the depth at centre between us and them he could have played 2nd line C for us, thats not saying much. :ph34r:

#54 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

View Postweave, on 28 June 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

On a team that missed the playoffs.  Roy played 1st line center as well yet most of us want him as a #3.  I personally don't find Ott all that special either.

#55 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

View PostRazielSabre, on 28 June 2012 - 07:27 AM, said:

Quite frankly with the depth at centre between us and them he could have played 2nd line C for us, thats not saying much. :ph34r:

Agreed.  I am not suggesting he is a 2nd line center on a good team. but he's capable of more than centering Cody McCormick and Brandon Prust.

View PostSwampD, on 28 June 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

On a team that missed the playoffs.  Roy played 1st line center as well yet most of us want him as a #3.  I personally don't find Ott all that special either.

I know I am coming off as a fan boi here.  It's not that he's overly special.  It's that he has a set of characteristics that I think are well suited to a hole we have in the team makeup.

#56 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

View Postweave, on 28 June 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

Agreed.  I am not suggesting he is a 2nd line center on a good team. but he's capable of more than centering Cody McCormick and Brandon Prust.

And maybe with Ott here, Weber will be even better because Ott's dad will be around to kick his ass.

Edited by SwampD, 28 June 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#57 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostSwampD, on 28 June 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

And maybe with Ott here, Weber will be even better because Ott's dad will be around to kick his ass.

I don't get it.

#58 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

View Postweave, on 28 June 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

I don't get it.
http://sabres.nhl.tv...atid=9&id=31043

#59 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostSwampD, on 28 June 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

No video at work.  I'll have to watch when I get home.

#60 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

View Postweave, on 28 June 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

No video at work.  I'll have to watch when I get home.
Mike lived(s?) with the Otts and Daddy Ott  trained him like he was in the military.

#61 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

"Even better" would seem to imply Weber was approaching "good" in the first place.  That's how I read it anyway.  And Weber was terrible last year.  Yes he's mean and nasty and not afraid of anybody, but as far as actually playing hockey goes, he stunk.

#62 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 28 June 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

"Even better" would seem to imply Weber was approaching "good" in the first place.  That's how I read it anyway.  And Weber was terrible last year.  Yes he's mean and nasty and not afraid of anybody, but as far as actually playing hockey goes, he stunk.
How's that?  Is that even better?

(I agree, by the way.)

#63 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostSwampD, on 28 June 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

(I agree, by the way.)

I apologize for over-analyzing the language there...but yes, much better :P

#64 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

View PostSwampD, on 28 June 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

(I agree, by the way.)
Please explain what makes Weber so much worse than Regehr?  Weber's +/-?  Regehr reputation?  What is it because basically they both start most shifts in the defensive zone and the only real difference is that Weber played against teams 2nd lines and Regehr against their 1st.   I thought Weber improved last season and settled into a good shutdown role after lindy stopped fucing with his head and benching him for that hack MAG.

#65 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

I'd go further, neither he nor Regehr had a good year last year. they shut down the opposition ok but even that they were brilliant at. More should be expected from both this season, much more.

#66 sabre snipe

sabre snipe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

Reports that's Sidney Crosby signed an extension worth over 100 million dollars. He better stay healthy... http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399432

#67 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

View Postsabre snipe, on 28 June 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

Reports that's Sidney Crosby signed an extension worth over 100 million dollars. He better stay healthy... http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399432

You would hope Pens management made 100 doctors confirm that Crosby is over/nearly over his injury problem before they signed him to this deal. Either way, this deal seems fair, he is worth $100 million (comparatively :P)

#68 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

:o

#69 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,551 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

#70 millbank

millbank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

Sportsnet saying Crosby contract will be $104 million over 12 years......cannot be announced until July 1

#71 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

View Postmillbank, on 28 June 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Sportsnet saying Crosby contract will be $104 million over 12 years......cannot be announced until July 1

An $8.7mil cap hit, of course.

Edited by nobody, 28 June 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#72 ThirtyEight

ThirtyEight

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Cap goes up to 70.2
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399437

#73 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Sometimes I wonder how Pittsburgh can possibly do what they do, having the Crosby/Malkin contracts, offering Staal what they did, and maintaining the rest of the lines with players good enough to compete for a cup every year... It seems like they must be breaking some rule somewhere...

#74 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,077 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

View Postmillbank, on 28 June 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Hmmmm.......that's the next 984 games in Pittsburgh.

104,000,000 divided by 984 divided by 3 = $35,400 or so a period.  or $116,000 a game if he plays or not. :)

#75 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,845 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostArcsabresfan41, on 28 June 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Sometimes I wonder how Pittsburgh can possibly do what they do, having the Crosby/Malkin contracts, offering Staal what they did, and maintaining the rest of the lines with players good enough to compete for a cup every year... It seems like they must be breaking some rule somewhere...

It's a pretty big drop off after that though. It's those 2, 3 guys at $5M and then no one else on the team is above $3.75M. The Sabres, For instance, have 9 players at $4M or higher.

#76 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,551 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostThirtyEight, on 28 June 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

I don't understand how the NHL can announce a new salary cap with the CBA coming up. Why not just have it default to its current level and change it when the new CBA is agreed on?

#77 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,845 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 28 June 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

Hmmmm.......that's the next 984 games in Pittsburgh.

104,000,000 divided by 984 divided by 3 = $35,400 or so a period.  or $116,000 a game if he plays or not. :)

If he were to suffer a career ending injury next year, he wouldn't count against the cap, but he would still get paid every dime of the $104.4M. Guaranteed Contracts for the Win.

View Postd4rksabre, on 28 June 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

I don't understand how the NHL can announce a new salary cap with the CBA coming up. Why not just have it default to its current level and change it when the new CBA is agreed on?

Because any reduction in the salary cap would be accompanied by a equal reduction in every player's salary. This keeps the % of cap each player takes up the same before and after. So we can work to 70.2, then after the CBA, each salary will just be rolled back to whatever number. So every team will still be under the cap.

#78 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 28 June 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

It's a pretty big drop off after that though. It's those 2, 3 guys at $5M and then no one else on the team is above $3.75M. The Sabres, For instance, have 9 players at $4M or higher.

Welcome back LPF.  I missed you for the half day you were running the spelling class.

So, seems that what you are saying is that the Penguins are getting much better return for the players below their top tier, since they have a cup to their credit and spending less than the Sabres to do it.

View PostLastPommerFan, on 28 June 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

If he were to suffer a career ending injury next year, he wouldn't count against the cap, but he would still get paid every dime of the $104.4M. Guaranteed Contracts for the Win.

I didn't think there were guaranteed contracts in the NHL.  If so, why do the teams "insure" the contracts in case of injury.  Maybe I have it all wrong?

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 28 June 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#79 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 28 June 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

I didn't think there were guaranteed contracts in the NHL.  If so, why do the teams "insure" the contracts in case of injury.  Maybe I have it all wrong?

All NHL contracts are guaranteed.  They insure them so if an injury happens then the insurance company pays out the money rather than the team.

#80 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,551 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostLastPommerFan, on 28 June 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Because any reduction in the salary cap would be accompanied by a equal reduction in every player's salary. This keeps the % of cap each player takes up the same before and after. So we can work to 70.2, then after the CBA, each salary will just be rolled back to whatever number. So every team will still be under the cap.

I think I understand. If you're a player and you get a big pay-day in FA aren't you going to be real pissed off if your salary gets rolled back down?