284 replies to this topic

#1 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

I stopped attending big concerts about 20 years ago.  Still hit bar-sized concerts and free outdoor shows, but I just figured my big concert days were behind me.  And then a funny thing seemed to have happened.  My son got interested in music and is old enough to attend some shows.  And for the most part he listens to music that I can really dig.  I got my feet wet again last Summer at Artpark but the real fun came when my (then) 13 yr old son started begging me to let him go to the Uproar Festival at Darien Lake last August.  Eventually I relented on the condition that I go as well.  For the most part the bands weren't bands I would ordinarily listen to but the headliners especially weren't bad, and since I am a reformed (sort of) metal head the last two bands in particular were pretty damned enjoyable.

So this year the kid is already begging me to go to a concert with him, and frankly, I was looking forward to the Summer's concert schedule for my own enjoyment.  Looks like a pretty fair concert season coming.  This is my concert plan for the coming year;

June 29 Buffalo Place- Grace Potter and the Nocturnals  This band puts on a great show.  They have a fantastic old school rock vibe to them.  And Grace Potter is darned nice to look at too.  If you are not familiar, look them up on youtube.  Fantastic rock performers.

Darien Lake- Allman Brothers and Carlos Santana  Taking the wife to see this one.  Two of my favorites from the bluesy end of rock.

Darien Lake- Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper  Re-living my junior year in high school.  LOL Actually, I won't be buying tix to this show.  I'll be a volunteer.  I am involved with one of the not-for-profits that man the beer kiosks at the venue.  I'm already signed up to dish out $12 Bud Lights to the head banging masses.  I won't get a look at the stage most likely but I'll be able to listen to the show.  \nn/

Darien Lake- Slipknot/Slayer/Motorhead/Anthrax  This is the show my kid is bugging me about.  Yeah, we're gonna go.  I've never seen Motorhead or Slayer in concert so I'm looking forward to it.  I'm sure my ears will be bleeding by the time the show ends.  And 3 out of 4 of those bands are up my alley.

First Niagara Center- Rush  Now this one *will* have me re-living my junior year in high school.  Going with a longtime friend.  I can't wait until October.

Anyone else ready for Summer concert season?

#2 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,414 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Flogging Molly at The Main Street Armory in Rochester, May 25th.

Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band at the Tralf, June 26th.

Other than that, I got nuthin.

#3 Arcsabresfan41

Arcsabresfan41

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Rush this October. Maybe van halen in Rochester.

#4 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

Kiss and Motley Crue, haven't decided where yet

Also, the finace is bugging me about a Brad Paisley concert, and maybe a Jason Aldean one as well, so we'll probably hit those.

And I'll probably make a trip to see Alice In Chains somewhere

But first it's Columbus, Ohio for a little Rock on the Range! Shinedown, Megadeath, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, and about 40 others, cant wait for this one.

#5 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Luke Bryan with Lee Brice and Justin Moore on June 17th at TAGS in Big Flats with the girlfriend

otherwise...not looking at much.

#6 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

This thread made me realize that there's absolutely nothing on my radar this summer.  Kind of sad really.

#7 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,636 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

Like some others, I really don't like big shows, but I saw Springsteen from the pit at F'N C a couple of weeks ago, and just learned that I may be seeing him at Wrigley in September.

I'll plan on some of the shows at the harbor this summer.

#8 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

View Postshrader, on 03 May 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

This thread made me realize that there's absolutely nothing on my radar this summer.  Kind of sad really.

What kind of music do you enjoy?

#9 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

View Postweave, on 03 May 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

What kind of music do you enjoy?

What I like and what I would go see are a different list, so I'll just go with what I have seen in the past:
-Pearl Jam
-Soundgarden (recent reunion)
-Alice in Chains (the post-Layne version unfortunately)
-Rush
-Live and Collective Soul (decent show but probably wouldn't have gone if others weren't)
-Stone Temple Pilots

I guess at this point, I'm waiting until the next american tour for Pearl Jam.

#10 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

I'll be catching the Rush show as well, probably in Charlotte because they wont be coming to Raleigh.

In July, my wife and some neighbors are attending a concert at the new outdoor venue in downtown Raleigh.  It works out well since there will be a band for everyone.  BNL headlines, and my wife's a huge fan. Blues Traveler, a few of my neighbors are really into them, and I like some early stuff of theirs. Big Head Todd and the Monsters are one of my favorite bands, just a fantastic live act. Cracker,ok I don't think anyone is going specifically to see Cracker, although I've heard they are quite good.

And next week..May 10th in Myrtle Beach at the House Of Blues. Steel Panther. I'm really excited for this show.  80's hair metal at it's finest.  Myself and a couple of other 40-somethings will be road tripping it down for the show.  I'm sure I'll feel like I'm 18 again and hitting the road to a GnR show.

#11 qwksndmonster

qwksndmonster

The 'd' is silent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

A couple friends of mine, my girlfriend, and I are going to Bonnaroo in a little over a month.  I'm incredibly excited.

#12 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 03 May 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Cracker,ok I don't think anyone is going specifically to see Cracker, although I've heard they are quite good.

HA! They're playing here in Charlotte as well, and Cracker is the only reason I'm going.

#13 millbank

millbank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Leonard Cohen, coming to London Ontario Dec. 11

#14 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

View Postmillbank, on 03 May 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Now that'd be a good show to see.

#15 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Seeing these guys at Club Infinity May 22nd.

#16 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostChileanSeaBass, on 03 May 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

HA! They're playing here in Charlotte as well, and Cracker is the only reason I'm going.

Nice. I see they move to Charlotte the next day.  My first Big Head Todd / Blues Traveler show was back in 1994 for the HORDE festival in Darien Lake, we arrived at the show very early when the largely unknown bands  were playing.  On the main stage we sat down amongst the rows and rows of empty seats to take in this band with a fiddle player, saxophonist and geeky looking singer.  I enjoyed their set a lot, so I turned and asked a guy near me who the band was.. "Dave something Band" is what he said.  In about six months the Dave Matthews Band would become one of the biggest bands in the world.  I always use that story on my wife as the reason why you never skip the opening act.

I used to really like BNL too, I remember seeing them at the Icon downtown before their first album came out, improving songs about Tom Jolls and Irv Weinstein.  Good stuff.  They kind of lost me though when they hit it big with that song one week.

#17 Potato

Potato

Take Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

Saw Prong and Crowbar in a really small venue two weeks ago (great show).

Saw Van Halen at Bridgestone Arena last week.  And, as some of you pointed out above, it reminded me of why I don't like the giant arena shows. I was basically watching them on a television screen from afar, it was miserably hot in the arena, the band just kind of stood there and didn't really have much of a stage show or the sort of stage presence I remember them having years ago.  And, I couldn't quite figure out what the heck David Lee Roth was talking about!

Upcoming shows: I'll see my neighbor and fellow dog lover Emmylou Harris perform at Ryman Auditorium this month and will see the Dirty Dozen Brass Band in June.

#18 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

View Postmillbank, on 03 May 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Excellent.

#19 rbochan

rbochan

Zamboni Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Nothing at the god damned  FNC, that's for sure.

#20 sabills

sabills

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 03 May 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band at the Tralf, June 26th.

yup

View Postweave, on 03 May 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

June 29 Buffalo Place- Grace Potter and the Nocturnals  This band puts on a great show.  They have a fantastic old school rock vibe to them.  And Grace Potter is darned nice to look at too.  If you are not familiar, look them up on youtube.  Fantastic rock performers.

yup

after that, every Thursday [not] in the Square possible, and we'll see what pops up.

#21 Campy

Campy

Man created language to satisfy his deep need to complain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Tomorrow is Shinedown, Five Finger Death Punch, P.O.D., Slash and a couple of others at the Lunatic Luau in Va Bch.

On the 19th is Nugent, Styx, and REO.  Yeah, my girl's excited for that one.  And while I'm not really dreading it, it'd be a much cooler show if this was 1983.

#22 sabills

sabills

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostCampy, on 03 May 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

Tomorrow is Shinedown, Five Finger Death Punch, P.O.D., Slash and a couple of others at the Lunatic Luau in Va Bch.

######, if that was here i'd be at that show

#23 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

View Postsabills, on 03 May 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

######, if that was here i'd be at that show

Swing down to columbus for rock on the range in a few weeks, they will all be there, plus about 40 others

#24 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostCampy, on 03 May 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

My kid is complaining that he wants to see Shinedown later this Summer.

On the 19th is Nugent, Styx, and REO.  Yeah, my girl's excited for that one.  And while I'm not really dreading it, it'd be a much cooler show if this was 1983.

I saw Uncle Ted last Summer.  He still puts on a high energy set and can melt a guitar even today but be prepared to be offended if your politics aren't in line with his.  His shows resemble Tea Party revivals between songs.  Wear a thick skin and chalk it up as the kind of entertainment like your old uncle Tony provides at holiday dinners and you'll have a blast.

#25 millbank

millbank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 03 May 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

Excellent.
amazing man.  78 years old, poet/musician . Thing is he not a old guy trying to be young. He is just himself,  his appeal not to just the older generation , but to young and old alike. Looking much forward to this, never thought the opportunity with come again.

#26 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

View Postmillbank, on 03 May 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

amazing man.  78 years old, poet/musician . Thing is he not a old guy trying to be young. He is just himself,  his appeal not to just the older generation , but to young and old alike. Looking much forward to this, never thought the opportunity with come again.

He's a genius.

#27 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,711 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

View Postweave, on 03 May 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

I saw Uncle Ted last Summer.  He still puts on a high energy set and can melt a guitar even today but be prepared to be offended if your politics aren't in line with his.  His shows resemble Tea Party revivals between songs.  Wear a thick skin and chalk it up as the kind of entertainment like your old uncle Tony provides at holiday dinners and you'll have a blast.

And if he tells you to assassinate someone, you don't actually have to.

#28 Campy

Campy

Man created language to satisfy his deep need to complain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

My kid is complaining that he wants to see Shinedown later this Summer.
Shinedown reminds me a lot of Godsmack, whose earlier stuff I like a lot:  The bands sound very similar and pretty much each song sounds like every other one.

I've never seen him and am looking forward to Stranglehold live and in the flesh.  As for his politics, we do not see eye-to-eye but I know going in what to expect.  

In the words of the great philosopher David Lee Roth circa 1982, "Van Halen is about parties, fun, and girls.  Some bands try to send messages with their songs and with their shows.  If you want to send a message, just use Western Union."  In other words, "Ted, just shut up and play."

#29 Chris_in_UT

Chris_in_UT

tie-dyer extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

semi-off topic, but for those of you who have an iphone (and maybe android ... not sure if this app has a  google-compatible version), pick up songkick from the app store. it scans the music on your phone, and tells you who's coming to your neck of the woods. absolutely indispensible app for concert enthusiasts.

as for my list:

rush--day after thanksgiving at the MGM grand in vegas (that is a *big* "HELL YES!")
ane brun, may 19
primus, june 19
grace potter and the nocturnals, july 30.
norah jones, august 21.
metric, october 5
any concert playing here.
my brother says that the tragically hip will probably play in denver this year. if they do, we're taking a road trip.

#30 R_dudly

R_dudly

The Kids are making me nervous..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Cool topic, I like weave have teenagers(15 yr old daughter, 13 yr old son) that want to experience the concert scene truth be told my 10 year old is more of a rocker like his dad then his older siblings since he already has a lot of the music on his Ipod that I listen too.

I am considering breaking them in with a starter like 8/14, Def Leppard and Poison and/or maybe 9/2 Kiss and Motley Crue at Post Gazette pavillion. Have to see how the summer goes.

#31 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

I have been attending less big venue shows recently, probably because I did that alot when I was a bit younger but heres my list

Just saw The Trews (great Canadian band who are from out east but made it big in Niagara) last week in a bar in St. Catharines, also going to catch them in August at a free show in Port Colborne.
I have heard that the next day in Port Colborne its supposed to be the Canadian band The Tea Party, which is a show I haven't seen in Years, but saw MANY times in small bars here in Niagara.
Also about a month or so ago I saw Matt Good at the Rapids theatre (great venue in NF NY, first time there was for the STP show which was amazing)

My Fiance wants me to come with her to see Jim Cuddy (of Blue Rodeo) playing 2 weeks from now about 5 minutes from our house. (I might miss it cause I have a hockey game that night, I bought her tickets to see him in Hamilton earlier this year for Christmas and had her go with her friend cause I also had hockey that night). If they play this summer again in Toronto, i will probably get tickets for us to see Blue Rodeo again too.

I am taking my mom to Toronto so she can see her first big concert, and one that she can die happy after seeing. My Brother and Sister and I bought her floor tickets to see Neil Diamond at the ACC in June, that will probably be my big ticket concert this year.

I have tickets to see The Tragically hip (it will be my first hip show) in Niagara-On-The-Lake the day before Canada Day (Can't be truly Canadian if you haven't seen the Hip on our around Canada Day)

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Still waiting to hear about a lineup for the Friendship festival, might attend that show if its a good lineup

#32 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostR_dudly, on 04 May 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Cool topic, I like weave have teenagers(15 yr old daughter, 13 yr old son) that want to experience the concert scene truth be told my 10 year old is more of a rocker like his dad then his older siblings since he already has a lot of the music on his Ipod that I listen too.

I am considering breaking them in with a starter like 8/14, Def Leppard and Poison and/or maybe 9/2 Kiss and Motley Crue at Post Gazette pavillion. Have to see how the summer goes.

Don't be bashful about going to see a concert *they* want to see.  I had a great time at the Uprorar Festival last summer.  It wasn't music that I would ever hear coming and say "hey, I want to go".  But I went because my kid wanted to go and I had a great time.

#33 Chris_in_UT

Chris_in_UT

tie-dyer extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

View Postapuszczalowski, on 04 May 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

I have tickets to see The Tragically hip (it will be my first hip show) in Niagara-On-The-Lake the day before Canada Day (Can't be truly Canadian if you haven't seen the Hip on our around Canada Day)

nice! my first two hip shows were back-to-back nights in vegas and phoenix. two completely disparate, polar opposite shows. in vegas, gord downie looked and acted like he was on an acid trip. in phoenix, he was as mellow as a summer breeze off a still ocean. it was amazing. let us know which version of gord you get!

#34 apuszczalowski

apuszczalowski

Commander of the Armies of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostChris_in_UT, on 04 May 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

nice! my first two hip shows were back-to-back nights in vegas and phoenix. two completely disparate, polar opposite shows. in vegas, gord downie looked and acted like he was on an acid trip. in phoenix, he was as mellow as a summer breeze off a still ocean. it was amazing. let us know which version of gord you get!
Will do

Should be an interesting show, its at the Barracks, part of the old fort for the war of 1812 BiCentenial celebrations. NOTL is putting it on and they are not exactly a young party town so they have strict rules for shutting down at 10, and parking is supposed to be outside the city in farmers fields with buses from what i have heard. The Hip are one of the few bands left that I haven't seen but want to (along with Zeppelin and the original lineup of the Smashing Pumpkins)

#35 sabills

sabills

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

If the Hip roll through Buffalo again this year (which I beleive they will) I'm going to go see them. I'm  a little lacking in my knowledge of them, but I heard that concert at the Wharf was amazing last year, so I don't want to miss it again.

#36 87168

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Tech N9ne (6/12) and Childish Gambino ( 6/19) at the Ballroom

#37 cdexchange

cdexchange

www.DiscsForDogs.org

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

View Postsabills, on 05 May 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

If the Hip roll through Buffalo again this year (which I beleive they will) I'm going to go see them. I'm  a little lacking in my knowledge of them, but I heard that concert at the Wharf was amazing last year, so I don't want to miss it again.

Indeed it was, best time I had all summer.

Attached File  283906_10150337057982905_659067904_9311308_4538467_n.jpg   72.92K   15 downloads

Edited by cdexchange, 05 May 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#38 Fire Lindy Ruff NOW

Fire Lindy Ruff NOW

lindy ruff should have been fired 1,000 years ago.

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

View Post87168, on 05 May 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

Tech N9ne (6/12) and Childish Gambino ( 6/19) at the Ballroom
tech nine nice and RUSH BABY

#39 DR HOLLIDAY

DR HOLLIDAY

Born in 1970- Just like the Sabres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Steve Earle and the Dukes
The Skydiggers

and

The Tragically Hip

#40 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,273 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:53 AM

Taste of Country (i dont know why I am going actually)

and hopefully this

http://www.orionmusicandmore.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off topic