Jump to content


Clint Malarchuk, Junior Seau


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 millbank

millbank

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

http://deadspin.com/...malarchuk-at-50

take some some and read article . Turns out famous incident has not been only time he faced death.  Discusses the important issue of depression.  Sobering but most important...
quote,

"I’m Walking Around With A Bullet In My Head And A Scar On My Neck": Clint Malarchuk, At 50

sorry for the bold, this came up in cut and paste....

#2 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,196 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

Thanks, Millbank.

I knew about the depression and I think a lot of us knew about the barn incident.  But this is the first time I've seen CM give an interview in his own words in quite a while. Nice find and thanks for sharing it.

#3 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:BUFFALO

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

Clint, ever the reminder that just surviving death doesnt always make things easier. I wonder if Pegula and Co reached out to him like they have so many other alumni.

#4 millbank

millbank

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

http://www.malarchuk...uk/Welcome.html

above a link to his website. His blog discusses the issue and other matters.

it of value to have perspective about the people in the uniforms, much isnt what it seems...

#5 bunomatic

bunomatic

    bunomatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nanaimo,B.C.,Canada

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

Well. Never heard about the suicide attempt. Did he put a bullet in his head? Mans lucky to be alive.

#6 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

View Postbunomatic, on 01 May 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

Well. Never heard about the suicide attempt. Did he put a bullet in his head? Mans lucky to be alive.

He shot himself in the chin with a .22 that he had supposedly placed between his legs and it misfired. The cops didn't really buy it, but then again who uses a .22 to off themselves? He probably had any number of larger caliber pieces to choose from.

#7 millbank

millbank

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 02 May 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

He shot himself in the chin with a .22 that he had supposedly placed between his legs and it misfired. The cops didn't really buy it, but then again who uses a .22 to off themselves? He probably had any number of larger caliber pieces to choose from.
please read supplied links in original post, at issue is he did mean to shoot himself. Article does state this , as does he do  so on his blog and to be shown on Canada's Sportsnet program and in their magazine via article, from his blog,
"I woke up in intensive care, and I had a bullet in my head, and I was alive, and all that crap and grief and everything that made me put that bullet in my head made me think, Thank God, it didn't kill me. I'm here for a reason. And I don't know if I would say the best day of my life, but it was certainly a revealing day of my life, an emotional day. It really woke me up as far as I'm meant to be here. There's a reason we're here and you better find it.
He does clearly state he has issues with depression , this the very reason he tried to kill himself.
I think you must have missed my links. His issues of depression very real and the source of post and reason. :) .

Edited by millbank, 02 May 2012 - 04:41 AM.


#8 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

He's a tragic story, no doubt.  Hate to see someone deal with all the demons he's dealt with.


Edit-  wow.  That might be the most helter skelter interview I have ever read.  Get well Clint.  Stay well.

Edited by weave, 02 May 2012 - 06:09 AM.


#9 JKB1646

JKB1646

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Indianapolis, IN

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

I hope the second half of his life works out for him. Holy cow i wish that article would have been proof read...jeez that was tough to read.

#10 bunomatic

bunomatic

    bunomatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nanaimo,B.C.,Canada

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 02 May 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

He shot himself in the chin with a .22 that he had supposedly placed between his legs and it misfired. The cops didn't really buy it, but then again who uses a .22 to off themselves? He probably had any number of larger caliber pieces to choose from.

  The 22 caliber didn't work for him but its actually the perfect weapon for this and the weapon of choice for hitmen apparently because it enters the head but doesn't exit , it tumbles or ricochets through the brain. Anyways, I hope he maintains and continues to seek help for his depression. Life is a gift if you live in the present.

Edited by bunomatic, 02 May 2012 - 09:02 AM.


#11 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

View Postmillbank, on 02 May 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:


please read supplied links in original post, at issue is he did mean to shoot himself. Article does state this , as does he do  so on his blog and to be shown on Canada's Sportsnet program and in their magazine via article, from his blog,
"I woke up in intensive care, and I had a bullet in my head, and I was alive, and all that crap and grief and everything that made me put that bullet in my head made me think, Thank God, it didn't kill me. I'm here for a reason. And I don't know if I would say the best day of my life, but it was certainly a revealing day of my life, an emotional day. It really woke me up as far as I'm meant to be here. There's a reason we're here and you better find it.
He does clearly state he has issues with depression , this the very reason he tried to kill himself.
I think you must have missed my links. His issues of depression very real and the source of post and reason. :) .

I read your links millbank, but I know I had read other stories before that were of a different tune. Seems Clint has decided to go with the suicide angle this time. I wonder if it's the truth or if he just gave up trying to convince people otherwise?

View Postbunomatic, on 02 May 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:



  The 22 caliber didn't work for him but its actually the perfect weapon for this and the weapon of choice for hitmen apparently because it enters the head but doesn't exit , it tumbles or ricochets through the brain. Anyways, I hope he maintains and continues to seek help for his depression. Life is a gift if you live in the present.

I think the trick is that he shot himself in the wrong spot. Going in through the chin means a bunch of stuff in the way before the brain. You'd think that if he made the conscious choice to us a .22 he'd have made the choice to put it against his temple as well.

But regardless, I hope he continues on the right path. His photo sits on my book shelf along with Steve Shields and Marty Biron. I'd like it to stay that way.

#12 bunomatic

bunomatic

    bunomatic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nanaimo,B.C.,Canada

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 02 May 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

I read your links millbank, but I know I had read other stories before that were of a different tune. Seems Clint has decided to go with the suicide angle this time. I wonder if it's the truth or if he just gave up trying to convince people otherwise?



I think the trick is that he shot himself in the wrong spot. Going in through the chin means a bunch of stuff in the way before the brain. You'd think that if he made the conscious choice to us a .22 he'd have made the choice to put it against his temple as well.

But regardless, I hope he continues on the right path. His photo sits on my book shelf along with Steve Shields and Marty Biron. I'd like it to stay that way.

   I agree the temple shot would have been the right choice.

#13 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

    Kain refused the sacrifice

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kent, England

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 02 May 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

I read your links millbank, but I know I had read other stories before that were of a different tune. Seems Clint has decided to go with the suicide angle this time. I wonder if it's the truth or if he just gave up trying to convince people otherwise?



I think the trick is that he shot himself in the wrong spot. Going in through the chin means a bunch of stuff in the way before the brain. You'd think that if he made the conscious choice to us a .22 he'd have made the choice to put it against his temple as well.

But regardless, I hope he continues on the right path. His photo sits on my book shelf along with Steve Shields and Marty Biron. I'd like it to stay that way.

Then you known precious few people who have attempted suicide.

#14 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,998 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

View Postweave, on 02 May 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

He's a tragic story, no doubt.  Hate to see someone deal with all the demons he's dealt with.


Edit-  wow.  That might be the most helter skelter interview I have ever read.  Get well Clint.  Stay well.

Yeah.....just reading that made me feel I was in an enclosed room with a blender grinding in my ears and a half dozen 6 year olds chasing each other in circles around me. A nice Cliff Notes version of his last 25 years of visits to his therapist. God bless him. Always seemed like a good dude.

#15 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostRazielSabre, on 02 May 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:



Then you known precious few people who have attempted suicide.

You are correct. I've only known one and she's very close to me. The decision is rarely well thought out and mostly circumstantial. She just decided while she was driving home one night to try and hit a telephone pole at 55. Fortunately she missed and just ended up in a field unharmed. But you're right, Clint probably wouldn't have given it as much thought as we just did.

#16 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

    Kain refused the sacrifice

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kent, England

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 02 May 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

You are correct. I've only known one and she's very close to me. The decision is rarely well thought out and mostly circumstantial. She just decided while she was driving home one night to try and hit a telephone pole at 55. Fortunately she missed and just ended up in a field unharmed. But you're right, Clint probably wouldn't have given it as much thought as we just did.
I realised my comment could have provoked some kind of war, glad it didn't. Sorry to hear about that. I've known a few who've tried and my friend works in mental health so he sees a fair amount. Sorry to hear that though man, hope everything is ok now.

#17 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostRazielSabre, on 02 May 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:


I realised my comment could have provoked some kind of war, glad it didn't. Sorry to hear about that. I've known a few who've tried and my friend works in mental health so he sees a fair amount. Sorry to hear that though man, hope everything is ok now.

Thanks bud. I knew you meant well.

#18 millbank

millbank

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 02 May 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Thanks bud. I knew you meant well.

appreciate this dialogue .
I do believe from reading and hearing Clint Malarchuk speak, his desire is by coming out and discussing his experiences that he would assist in more public awareness of a most difficult and sensitive issue. It often said that the greatest disease this day we have is the one of so many in the populous world we live is the disease of loneliness. It of important that people be aware that there help out there. They are not alone.

#19 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,821 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

RIP Junior Seau dead at 43.

#20 millbank

millbank

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 02 May 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

RIP Junior Seau dead at 43.

http://www.cbssports...d-gunshot-wound

link to most tragic story.

#21 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,551 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, NY/Apex, NC

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

They'll find signs of CTE in his brain too.  Why is this in the Malarchuk thread though?

#22 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Maybe we should have an "all about suicide" thread

#23 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

View Postshrader, on 02 May 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

They'll find signs of CTE in his brain too.  Why is this in the Malarchuk thread though?

Timing sure is curious.

#24 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,821 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

View Postshrader, on 02 May 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

They'll find signs of CTE in his brain too.  Why is this in the Malarchuk thread though?

The family is looking into it.

http://www.latimes.c...0,1280862.story

#25 nucci

nucci

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wilmington, DE

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

I was at that game behind the net where it happened. Can't really add much but so frightening. People were getting sick when it happened.......Such a good guy. Glad to see things are getting better for him.

#26 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,202 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

View Postnucci, on 06 May 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

I was at that game behind the net where it happened. Can't really add much but so frightening. People were getting sick when it happened.......Such a good guy. Glad to see things are getting better for him.

I was in the zamboni corner about 6 rows up for that game.  I do recall alot of families leaving after the incident.  And alot wives/girlfriends that wan't to go.  Hell, I almost left after it happened.  I still can't/won't watch video of the accident.  And I sure didn;t want to see that pic in the article linked.

#27 millbank

millbank

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

http://www.sportsnet...vor_dan_robson/

link about provides a much more readable version of his plight.....

#28 neverenough

neverenough

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oregon

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Nice read,  thx

#29 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,821 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

View Postshrader, on 02 May 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

They'll find signs of CTE in his brain too.  Why is this in the Malarchuk thread though?

Yup.

http://sports.nation..._medium=twitter