Sabres '12-'13 Roster

• Please log in to reply
1277 replies to this topic

#1 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

So this is what the team looks like IMHO as currently constituted heading into next season:

Forwards:
1st Line:  Vanek - blank - Pominville

2nd Line: Leino - Hodgson - Stafford
................Gerbe - Ennis

3rd Line: blank - Roy - blank

4th Line: Foligno - Adam - Kaleta
...............Ellis - McCormick

D:
1: blank

2: Ehrhoff
....Regehr

3: Myers

4: Leopold
....Sekera

5: Weber

6: McNabb

1st Callup: Brennan

G:
1: Miller

2: Enroth

I don't see a #1 center on the roster, a true 3rd line winger (either side), nor a #1 D-man, thus the blanks in those slots.

I see a bit of a glut at #2 D (probably enough that lacking a true #1 isn't going to be an issue) and at the 2nd line.  I could have increased the glut at LW by sliding Ennis there but it looks like he's getting the hang of center or I could have bumped Roy up to 2nd as well; but I think he can 'naturally' fit at either 2nd or 3rd line so I put him on the 3rd line.

If there are no moves on D, I'd expect to see Weber the healthy scratch, but that isn't a given.

Obviously there will be changes this off-season and the long range plan is likely to have a FA or trade become the #1 center with Hodgson or Ennis filling in at #1 center until someone from outside is brought in.  And Gerbe and Kaleta will likely be pencilled in as #3's until moves are made.

I thought about considering Pominville a #2, but if he could copy his home production on the road he'd be a legit #1, so I threw him the bone.

I still would like to see Roy and Stafford leaving, if for no other reason than to get them out of the 'leadership' roles they currently have.

While I'd still like to see a true #1 D-man brought in, Myers will likely fill that role in 2-4 years, and the need to upgrade the D is far less pressing than the need to bring in a #1 C and a banger that belongs on the top 6.

I'm fine w/ the goaltending.

It'll be interesting to see what they can convert those 4 picks in the top 45 into.  It'll also be interesting to see if some of those #2 level talents get combined with some of the picks or prospects into at least low level #1 talents.  As others have mentioned in other threads as well, wouldn't it be cool to see Nash on the top line w/ Vanek (and Hodgson (?)) with Pominville on the 2nd line and Stafford picking up a paycheck elsewhere?

Thoughts?

#2 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Taro, you can write a book every time, no?

There is room to trade a lot of nice picks for forwards, and I'm confident that the D is only getting better.  And there should be some money for FAs, as well.  

It's just too early for me to scan the FA sheets, look at who the Sabres re-sign and don't re-sign, concern myself about whether Goose will come back for ~2M, etc.

#3 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Texting Nun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Let's just say...I'm not planning on covering any shorts after today.

#4 tom webster

tom webster

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Taro T, on 27 February 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

So this is what the team looks like IMHO as currently constituted heading into next season:

Forwards:
1st Line:  Vanek - blank - Pominville

2nd Line: Leino - Hodgson - Stafford
................Gerbe - Ennis

3rd Line: blank - Roy - blank

4th Line: Foligno - Adam - Kaleta
...............Ellis - McCormick

D:
1: blank

2: Ehrhoff
....Regehr

3: Myers

4: Leopold
....Sekera

5: Weber

6: McNabb

1st Callup: Brennan

G:
1: Miller

2: Enroth

I don't see a #1 center on the roster, a true 3rd line winger (either side), nor a #1 D-man, thus the blanks in those slots.

I see a bit of a glut at #2 D (probably enough that lacking a true #1 isn't going to be an issue) and at the 2nd line.  I could have increased the glut at LW by sliding Ennis there but it looks like he's getting the hang of center or I could have bumped Roy up to 2nd as well; but I think he can 'naturally' fit at either 2nd or 3rd line so I put him on the 3rd line.

If there are no moves on D, I'd expect to see Weber the healthy scratch, but that isn't a given.

Obviously there will be changes this off-season and the long range plan is likely to have a FA or trade become the #1 center with Hodgson or Ennis filling in at #1 center until someone from outside is brought in.  And Gerbe and Kaleta will likely be pencilled in as #3's until moves are made.

I thought about considering Pominville a #2, but if he could copy his home production on the road he'd be a legit #1, so I threw him the bone.

I still would like to see Roy and Stafford leaving, if for no other reason than to get them out of the 'leadership' roles they currently have.

While I'd still like to see a true #1 D-man brought in, Myers will likely fill that role in 2-4 years, and the need to upgrade the D is far less pressing than the need to bring in a #1 C and a banger that belongs on the top 6.

I'm fine w/ the goaltending.

It'll be interesting to see what they can convert those 4 picks in the top 45 into.  It'll also be interesting to see if some of those #2 level talents get combined with some of the picks or prospects into at least low level #1 talents.  As others have mentioned in other threads as well, wouldn't it be cool to see Nash on the top line w/ Vanek (and Hodgson (?)) with Pominville on the 2nd line and Stafford picking up a paycheck elsewhere?

Thoughts?

I'd say its a pretty good assessment as per usual. I will say I expect Adam to be a trading chip as well as I see him as one of those tweeners, not good enough for a top 2 line position and not a good fit on the third and fourth lines. It also shows how close this league as become. Put a true #1 center on that roster abd factor in above average goaltending and they can be as good as any team.

#5 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

tom webster, on 27 February 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

I'd say its a pretty good assessment as per usual. I will say I expect Adam to be a trading chip as well as I see him as one of those tweeners, not good enough for a top 2 line position and not a good fit on the third and fourth lines. It also shows how close this league as become. Put a true #1 center on that roster abd factor in above average goaltending and they can be as good as any team.
Agreed on Adam.  Thought they were looking to have him as #2 eventually with where he started this year, but with Hodgson, Ennis, and Roy all ahead of him and him not playing to his size; he could definitely be part of a package.

If they had the true #1 and at least 1 banger that belongs in the top 6 and this team would be very tough to beat.  Even bringing in 1 of those 2 and they'd be in the mix.  Without either, and next year would probably be a lot of picking up 12 points every 10 games and coming in at ~#6.

#6 thewookie1

thewookie1

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

Thanks to the cool roster caculator on Capgeek....
http://www.capgeek.c...up.php?teamId=8

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.142m) / Zach Parise ($7.100m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Ville Leino ($4.500m) / Cody Hodgson ($1.666m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Tyler Ennis ($0.875m) / Luke Adam ($0.875m) / Nathan Gerbe ($1.433m)
Corey Tropp ($0.700m) / Cody McCormick ($1.200m) / Patrick Kaleta ($0.907m)
DEFENSEMEN
Tyler Myers ($5.500m) / Robyn Regehr ($4.020m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Jordan Leopold ($3.000m)
Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) / Mike Weber ($0.950m)
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m) / Jhonas Enroth ($0.675m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,020,356; BONUSES: $1,012,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,279,644

Trade Stafford and Roy, 1 to get draft picks/prospects,  1 to get Dustin Brown

Sign Parise at 6 to 8mil

That leaves around 2.3 to 1.5mil to give +s to are RFAs/UFAs we want to keep along with whatever the amount the cap goes up.

Edited by thewookie1, 27 February 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#7 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

At this point in time it looks like Taro's assessment of the forwards seems sound, however I'm not sure about the D.

My guess is that the Sabres think they're set at D already for next season, and likely see Leopold and Sekera as trade-bait.

Ellis will be a call-up only. McCormick is likely to be placed on waivers if they are looking to flesh out the offense.

I would guess that with Hodgson on board, they'll probably concentrate on getting a big, scary winger with some talent before trying for a true number one.

Stafford probably gets another season to try and produce, so that leaves them only to try and figure out what to do with Roy.

#8 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

Taro T, on 27 February 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

I don't see a #1 center on the roster

Thoughts?
Well after editing it down a bit and leaving the bolded part for the end...

I would guess that McNabb may be odd man out to start the season and then work his way in from their.  Weber has settled his game down nicely and is playing the best hockey of his career right now.  Whether or not that translates to next season who knows but if he is our 6th or 7th its better than MAG being here still.

I think as far as the rest of the defense goes, we do have several #2 and a couple #3 dmen and that imho equates to a #1 guy.  Myers, Ehrhoff, and Regehr are #2 guys in my book. Myers needs to show up at the beginning of the year next year though instead of the end.  Sekera has quietly been having a very solid season.  He goes out, does his job, and comes off.  No complaints with his game really.  Leo and Weber both bring different things but have good qualities as well.

Now as for the bolded part... That sentence makes absolutely no sense and I will explain why I believe that.  Darcy for all his faults is not an idiot.  He traded Kassian for Hodgson so that Hodgson would be our #1 center long term.  Going out now to acquire that is counter productive because in Darcy's mind that guy is on the team now.  As long as Ennis continues his truly amazing play at center than I see no reason at this current moment in time to waste money on a center except to fill the void on the 4th line.   The offseason should be used to acquire a bit of grit (Dustin Brown would be nice) but acquiring a #1 center for long term was just accomplished even if we have to wait 2-3 years for him to become that.  I say this because I personally think that is how regier views the situation.

On a side note a was reading some of the other posts and just so everyone is aware Tyler Ennis and Pat Kaleta are RFA's and with 57million already tied up in players for next season it will take probably around 4-5mil to resign them both.  Adding in Adam and Tropp/Foligno (hopefully) as replacements for Boyes and Goose leaves you roughly with about 2-3million in cap space + whatever the cap goes up by... this means Parise is not in the cards unless we trade something else away.  Also Brown (or a player like him) is not in the cards unless the cap goes up enough or we again trade something away.  Food for thought.

My Roster for 2012-2013

Vanek - Hodgson - Pommers
Leino - Ennis - Stafford
Gerbe - Roy - Tropp?
Ellis/Foligno - Adam/McCormick - Kaleta

Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr
Sekera, Leopold, Weber
McNabb

Miller - Enroth

#9 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

Kain refused the sacrifice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

Vanek-Hodgson-Pom
Leino-Ennis-Stafford
Gerbe-Roy-Kaleta
Foligno-Adam-McCormick

Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr, Sekera, Weber, McNabb, Leopold.

Stafford still expendable, if so I'd look for a true 3rd/4th line RW and a 3rd/4th line center with a bit of a nasty streak. If we could I would resign Boyes for $1-2mill as a 3rd line center. If we get a good deal for Roy I'd take it but we'd still need a center.
Weber as the 7th dman. Leopold expendable so that'd bring Sulzer into 7th/6th. If we get something good for Weber as well great and bring up Brennan or someone or Roch as 6th/7th.

EDIT: I'd be happy to chuck Kotalik on RW and see what he can do if we can get him for cheap/afford his dent in the payroll.

Edited by RazielSabre, 28 February 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#10 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

90-60-40-20-50, When you're looking at your lines (1-2-3-4-D) use those numbers for the number of goals that each line and the defense need to contribute if the Sabres are going to score like a Stanley Cup contender.

Vanek-Roy-Pommer have averaged 84 goals per season combined looking at all seasons after their rookie years. And that is NOT compensating for injury time.

So the question is can Leino-Hodgson-Staff score 60?
Can Gerbe-Ennis-Kaleta score 40?

#11 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

In my head it makes sense that Hodgson will be groomed to center Vanek.  If he gels well I could see:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommer
Leino-Ennis-Stafford
Adam-Roy-New RW
Foligno-New C - Kaleta

The grit level of the team is still an issue.

#12 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

I think Hodgson allows Buffalo to go after an elite winger such as Parise........

#13 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

Any chance Armia comes to the US to play next year, and if so, will it likely be Roc instead of Buf?

#14 shrader

shrader

National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

I'm not so sure they need to add a #1, but they definitely need to add at least two centers in the offseason.  They need to get to the point where they have too many and not too few.  Have someone playing the wing even though they're a good fit at center.  And I'm not talking someone like Boyes or Leino.  We need to be back to where we were in 2005-2006 when guys like Roy or Guastad were seeing time on the wing.

#15 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,462 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

weave, on 28 February 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

In my head it makes sense that Hodgson will be groomed to center Vanek.  If he gels well I could see:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommer
Leino-Ennis-Stafford
Adam-Roy-New RW
Foligno-New C - Kaleta

The grit level of the team is still an issue.

I'm still not sold on Leino and Ennis working together long term.  Seems like too many passers together, with Stafford the lone "finisher"...if we can actually call him that.  I do agree I want Hodgson and Ennis to be my top 2 centers though, so who knows.  My wet dream would be to throw money at Parise he can't refuse and get an amnesty clause in the new CBA to use on Leino.  I'd like to get Stoll for 3rd line center and flip Roy into some other valuable asset, your "new RW."  

dEnnis the Menace, on 28 February 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

Any chance Armia comes to the US to play next year, and if so, will it likely be Roc instead of Buf?

I don't know if it's changed at all, but I believe the plan when he got drafted was to let him finish his 2 years in Finland and then bring him over.  He may be able to jump straight to the NHL, but I don't expect to see him until the 2013 season.

#16 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

TrueBluePhD, on 28 February 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

I don't know if it's changed at all, but I believe the plan when he got drafted was to let him finish his 2 years in Finland and then bring him over.  He may be able to jump straight to the NHL, but I don't expect to see him until the 2013 season.

I get the feeling that he'll be one of those "either Europe or the NHL" guys next season.  He needs time in the AHL, but he won't get it next year.

#17 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

I'm still not sold on Leino and Ennis working together long term.  Seems like too many passers together, with Stafford the lone "finisher"...if we can actually call him that.  I do agree I want Hodgson and Ennis to be my top 2 centers though, so who knows.  My wet dream would be to throw money at Parise he can't refuse and get an amnesty clause in the new CBA to use on Leino.  I'd like to get Stoll for 3rd line center and flip Roy into some other valuable asset, your "new RW."  

Does anyone know if there has been progress on a new CBA?

#18 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

shrader, on 28 February 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

I get the feeling that he'll be one of those "either Europe or the NHL" guys next season.  He needs time in the AHL, but he won't get it next year.

Thanks for the input guys.

#19 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,562 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

CallawaySabres, on 28 February 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

I think Hodgson allows Buffalo to go after an elite winger such as Parise........

Not unless 2 of the high-paid guys are moved out.  There isn't nearly enough cap space right now.

#20 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

I think(HOPE) the Sabres still look to trade Roy and Stafford in the offseason, and either sign a FA center to play on a scoring line, or make a trade for one.  I am not talking about the Getzlaf type dreams that happen here.  Instead more of a 50 point guy with some size and willingness to play physical(I'm not talking about fighting).  Same type of player as a replacement for Stafford.

Not putting line combos together, I'd go something like this...

Top 6 - Vanek, Pominville, Hodgson, Ennis, <replacement for Stafford>, <replacement for Roy>

Bottom 6-8 - Gerbe, Kaleta, Leino, Tropp, Foligno, McCormick, two vets...Hecht if he can return to health & another center to replace Gaustad.

Defense - Myers, Erhroff, Regehr, Weber, Sekera, McNabb(trade Leopold), and find a guy to be the 7th defenseman.

Goalie - Miller(I guess you give him another year to see if he can find his game)  & Enroth

In addition to this, I would keep the two firsts and two seconds, and find a center(preferably with the top pick), a very good goalie prospect, and two 2nd line forwards like the replacement for Stafford I described above.

Coaches - Nobody on current staff.  Clean house.

Edited by LabattBlue, 28 February 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#21 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

nfreeman, on 28 February 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

Not unless 2 of the high-paid guys are moved out.  There isn't nearly enough cap space right now.

Boyes gone
Hecht gone
trade Roy or Staff for picks...
I am sure there are other ways to do it - Rangers find a way every year

#22 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,821 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

CallawaySabres, on 28 February 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

Boyes gone
Hecht gone
trade Roy or Staff for picks...
I am sure there are other ways to do it - Rangers find a way every year

Boyes and Hecht are already figured in to nfreeman's comment.  there still needs to be at least one more big big salary besides Boyes and Hecht moved if we are going to sign an FA of any substance.  Roy and Staff works just fine for me.  :D

Edited by weave, 28 February 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#23 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Leino to ROC frees up $4.5M

Pommer is the only forward who's salary can't be PegulaDumped

#24 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

LastPommerFan, on 28 February 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

Leino to ROC frees up $4.5M

Pommer is the only forward who's salary can't be PegulaDumped
I wouldn't count on Pegula being okay with burying Darcy's a mistake of his in the minors. It was done with Kotalik and Morrisson, but they were both on their final contract years.

#25 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

LabattBlue, on 28 February 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

I think(HOPE) the Sabres still look to trade Roy and Stafford in the offseason,

Could someone please explain the scenario that would entice a team to take on a $4M/yr salary for the next 3 YEARS for a guy that is fallen so far out of favor?

The only thing I can think of is taking on a larger salaried, shorter term albatross in return that can be buried in Rochester. I just don't see it happening o matter how hard y'all wish.

#26 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

LabattBlue, on 28 February 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

I wouldn't count on Pegula being okay with burying Darcy's a mistake of his in the minors. It was done with Kotalik and Morrisson, but they were both on their final contract years.

My contention is that the orders from Pegula last off season were, "It's OK to take risks, but avoid NMCs, I'm OK with a $100M payroll, you just need to be able to move the less effective contracts to Rochester."

#27 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

SDS, on 28 February 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Could someone please explain the scenario that would entice a team to take on a $4M/yr salary for the next 3 YEARS for a guy that is fallen so far out of favor?

The only thing I can think of is taking on a larger salaried, shorter term albatross in return that can be buried in Rochester. I just don't see it happening o matter how hard y'all wish.
I've stated this before...there is always a GM out there who looks at Stafford's skill set, looks at the 30 goal season, see the flashes, and is convinced he can turn him into a 30 goal scorer year in and year out.  4 mil is a lot, but not for teams at the salary cap floor desperate for help.

LastPommerFan, on 28 February 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

I'm OK with a $100M payroll, you just need to be able to move the less effective contracts to Rochester."
When did he say this?

#28 LGR4GM

LGR4GM

Poop Flavored Lollypop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Could someone explain the scenario that would entice a team to take on a $4M/yr salary for the next 3 YEARS for a guy that is fallen so this far out of favor?

Stafford has 3g and 2a in the last 2 weeks (coinciding with Ennis at center) I hate to say it but he could live up to his 4mil a year price tag would is probably the going rate for a 20goal scorer with 50-60 or so points.  (12g 19 a for 31pts on the season)

#29 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

LabattBlue, on 28 February 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

When did he say this?

I inferred it. Largely from the, "If I want to make money, I'll Drill another gas well."

I very well could be wrong. But if I had billions, and owned the Sabres as a really rich fan, these would be my orders to the GM.

#30 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

LastPommerFan, on 28 February 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

I inferred it. Largely from the, "If I want to make money, I'll Drill another gas well."
That that I expect Pegs to become OSP 2.0, but lets see how many seasons of 10+ mil losses he is willing to absorb before proclaiming that he will spend, spend and spend some more.

#31 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

LGR4GM, on 28 February 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

Stafford has 3g and 2a in the last 2 weeks (coinciding with Ennis at center) I hate to say it but he could live up to his 4mil a year price tag would is probably the going rate for a 20goal scorer with 50-60 or so points.  (12g 19 a for 31pts on the season)

If he lives up to his contract then there is no need to get rid of him.

#32 SDS

SDS

• SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

LabattBlue, on 28 February 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

I've stated this before...there is always a GM out there who looks at Stafford's skill set, looks at the 30 goal season, see the flashes, and is convinced he can turn him into a 30 goal scorer year in and year out.  4 mil is a lot, but not for teams at the salary cap floor desperate for help.

They aren't looking for 3 years worth of that experiment.

However, you might have something with the cap floor department, but for those looking to stay above that line - why add Stafford before any other expensive piece? You STILL have to sell Stafford to those teams. Here are the ones within $3M of this year's floor:

Winnipeg Jets » $51,784,084
Ottawa Senators » $51,603,676
Nashville Predators » $51,169,477
Carolina Hurricanes » $50,810,131
Dallas Stars » $49,693,775   
Colorado Avalanche » $49,094,045
New York Islanders » $48,941,247

#33 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

Kain refused the sacrifice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

Scott Gomez. Stafford has proven what he can be, and his a solid player (if disappointing for Sabres fans who watched him drafted). Tim Connolly also got a pay rise in Toronto come to think of it.

#34 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,643 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

With the cap going up 2 million and no other moves:

I gave Ennis a 1 million dollar raise and Kaleta re-signs for the same amount.

FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.142m) / Cody Hodgson ($1.666m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Nathan Gerbe ($1.433m) / Tyler Ennis ($1.875m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Marcus Foligno ($0.900m) / Derek Roy ($4.000m) / Ville Leino ($4.500m)
Matt Ellis ($0.525m) / Cody McCormick ($1.200m) / Patrick Kaleta ($0.907m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brayden McNabb ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
SALARY CAP: $66,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,495,356; BONUSES: $1,170,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $4,804,644

#35 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

spndnchz, on 28 February 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN
Brayden McNabb ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Trade Leo, Staff or Roy for picks, use that $$ in combo with 4.8 mill and go after Parise. Move Luke Adam to 3rd line Center (if you trade Roy) and I think you are looking at round 2-3 of the playoffs. Add the final missing pieces in the Summer of 13 as I think THAT is when we can talk contender.

Edited by CallawaySabres, 28 February 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#36 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

spndnchz, on 28 February 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN
Brayden McNabb ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Excellent.  This is a nice base-line to work with.

I see at minimum they will probably try and move Roy or Stafford and Leopold or Weber over the summer.

If Hodgson lives up to his billing, he'll probably be a good enough first line center as far as the Sabres are concerned.

I wonder if McCormick can last another season health-wise in the role that's expected of him (sandpaper/bruiser) - matching with the opponent's first line may be a good thing for him in this regard.

Ellis - slow, but can take the man and is responsible.  Iffy, but between him and McCormick I wonder if the Sabres see a weakness on that fourth line.

Stafford - my gut says that he's getting a Mulligan for this season from Sabres' management.  My gut also says he's probably less of a problem chemistry-wise than Roy is.

Roy - natural center.  If the rest of the season is good for him, maybe there's a chance to move him and bring up Adam for that third line.

Leopold/Weber - McNabb can take over for the sandpaper that Weber brings.  Put Sekera with Ehrhoff, McNabb with Leopold and you have a nice second and third pair.  Or, just swap McNabb with Weber and the stakes stay the same, but then they have a little more cap room to add something interesting to the offense.

#37 sabres26

sabres26

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Rick Nash had a press conference basically stating "him leaving will help the jackets build from scratch, because a lot of assets can be brought in".. I know Sabres were able to bring in Regehr and Ehrhoff, but players like Nash and Parise aren't going to be that easy to persuade. Do you think we can bring in some big guns this summer, even if were are not on their list of teams they want to play for?

http://www.nhl.com/
^Rick Nash presser

Edited by sabres26, 28 February 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#38 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,643 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

FWIW, this Thursday is when the Sabres can start signing contracts for entry level unsigned players.

#39 shrader

shrader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

spndnchz, on 28 February 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

FWIW, this Thursday is when the Sabres can start signing contracts for entry level unsigned players.

I'd be curious to see if they jump into the market for the top end college guys.  That's been a big part of Ottawa's bounceback this year.

#40 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

shrader, on 28 February 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

I'd be curious to see if they jump into the market for the top end college guys.  That's been a big part of Ottawa's bounceback this year.
I though the Sabres were at the 50 contract max?