#81 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 17 February 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

If anyone is looking for murder mystery series, I recommend the Mario Balzic books.

Speaking of police fiction, a friend was recently talking this up. He lent his copy to someone else, so I haven't had a chance to read it yet: http://en.wikipedia....licemen's_Union

#82 Ohiofan

Ohiofan

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Oh this is a lovely thread.

I also usually have at least three books going at the same time.  My mood dictates which one I reach for in the narrow end-of-day time frame that this busy working mother/wife/mom has available.  In my younger days pre-family, I used to spend hours with a book.  I don't think I will get to experience that pleasure again until the kids are out of the house and I'm retired.

With that said, the husband just put in two walls of floor to ceiling bookshelves in the den.  We have two Nooks in the house, but...well...we hang out at Barnes and Noble a lot, and lets just say that books are our weakness.

Currently I am reading:

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt.  This was a suggestion from my youngest child.  It's a teen read about everlasting life, and I find it not bad if a bit silly, but daughter was excited about it and wanted me to share it with her.  A mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do.

American Sniper by Chris Kyle.  This is an autobiography of the "Most lethal sniper in U.S. military history".  Mr. Kyle was a Navy Seal and very decorated.  Not too far into it but I like it.

11/22/63 by Stephen King.  I love him, he keeps me up at night. (can't wait for the new Dark Tower book coming in March).

Ariel by Sylvia Plath.  I am not a huge fan of poetry, but this is a book I read when I'm pissed off at life.  It lives on my nightstand.

And, like many of you, I have a legion in the queue.

#83 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,551 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostMattPie, on 17 February 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Speaking of police fiction, a friend was recently talking this up. He lent his copy to someone else, so I haven't had a chance to read it yet: http://en.wikipedia....cemen%27s_Union

Well that looks different. I'm going to spend a lot of time going through this thread in the future haha

#84 TheChimp

TheChimp

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 17 February 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

Sorry for your loss.
I know how difficult it is to deal with the passing of a good friend / family member.

:) Thanks bro.

#85 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

If we're going to talk about reading for entertainment I can't recommend Steven Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger series enough.  It is the character that the Mark Wahlberg movie "Shooter" was based on.  Hint, the Point of Impact novel was wayyyy better than "Shooter".  Great reading if you are into action.

#86 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have to say that Harry Potter were the only books I read straight through.  Took me two and a half nights to read the last one.  So much lost in the movie, like most, I guess I love sci-fi with a soap opera twist.  B-)

#87 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 17 February 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

I have to say that Harry Potter were the only books I read straight through.  Took me two and a half nights to read the last one.  So much lost in the movie, like most, I guess I love sci-fi with a soap opera twist.  B-)

Before getting into the books currently on deck, I read the entire series to my kids.  They're actually quite fun reads.

#88 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,891 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 17 February 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

The aforementioned Picture of Dorian Grey, by Oscar Wilde, would be a really logical next step.

#89 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

You guys are all putting me to shame. I was an avid reader all the way up until college, but between school/work, having 2 jobs for years, and then more school/work, I've had so little free time for reading. :( When I go on vacation I tend to finish (or nearly finish) a book between the outbound and return flights, but vacations are as rare as free time. And I'm afraid my selections are much less sophisticated than most mentioned here, since I primarily stick to sci-fi / fantasy and horror.

#90 TheChimp

TheChimp

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

View Postbiodork, on 17 February 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

You guys are all putting me to shame. I was an avid reader all the way up until college, but between school/work, having 2 jobs for years, and then more school/work, I've had so little free time for reading. :( When I go on vacation I tend to finish (or nearly finish) a book between the outbound and return flights, but vacations are as rare as free time. And I'm afraid my selections are much less sophisticated than most mentioned here, since I primarily stick to sci-fi / fantasy and horror.
Fantasy and horror....you mean these boards?

#91 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

View PostTheChimp, on 17 February 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Fantasy and horror....you mean these boards?

Nicely done.

#92 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

It's mid February and the most popular threads are about books, breasts, hobbies, drinking and eating.  Mr. Pegula, I implore you, it's time to clean house.

#93 TheChimp

TheChimp

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 17 February 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

It's mid February and the most popular threads are about books, breasts, hobbies, drinking and eating.  Mr. Pegula, I implore you, it's time to clean house.
Or at least fill the arena with hot babes selling hot dogs, beer, and instruction manuals for building bird houses....

#94 Neo

Neo

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

I don't see any Flyer fans trolling THIS thread!

#95 thanes16

thanes16

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

Have any of you read The Road? Thinking about picking it up, but would like to have a heads up.

#96 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,077 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

The Road is a haunting and beautiful novel.

Cormac MCCarthy is a little like blue cheese though.  You'll either love it or hate it.  

#97 DR HOLLIDAY

DR HOLLIDAY

Born in 1970- Just like the Sabres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

View Postthanes16, on 18 February 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

Have any of you read The Road? Thinking about picking it up, but would like to have a heads up.

I read that during Christmas Vacation, I liked it.  Some pretty creepy parts and it reminded me of Fallout 3, lol.

I usually read one book for entertainment value and I always have a history book on the go, usually WW2 related.  I just finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and it was a fun read.

I am halfway through "The Third Reich at War" by Richard J. Evans.  It is the third book in his series about the Third Reich, and it is very well documented.  I am not sure that many people would want to read to entire series like I have, but if you want to give one of them a try I would say try the last one in the series it is what people would find most interesting/disturbing.

#98 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

View PostCrosschecking, on 17 February 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

In case some of you don't know what he means by PBUH, he's saying "Peace Be Upon Him".

I am curious about one thing: Did Muhammad have proof that the Scriptures of the Bible were intentionally distorted? If so, how did he come across that? I know that it could be said that this was revealed to him, but did he actually sit down and do the actual scholarship to show this? (As an aside, IIRC, this is exactly the same accusation that Joseph Smith, Jr. leveled against the Bible when he was in the process of writing The Book of Mormon, and I have not seen any evidence that Smith possessed the "ivory tower scholar" superior scholastic abilities of someone like Daniel Wallace, RC Sproul, or even Augustine.)

Thank you for the clarification of PBUH.  I often forget that many would not know what that stands for.

Actually, Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) was "unlettered".  Our Imam here in Halifax prefers that term to illiterate, but it means that he could not read or write.  That is one of the reasons Allah (God) selected him as one of His messengers.  To help refute the assertions that Muhammad (PBUH) wrote the Qur'an.

So, in answer to your question Muhammad (PBUH) was not capable of doing any scholarship on the issue you raised, or any other for that matter.  One of the first things revealed was that Allah was revealing the Qur'an to affirm the previous scriptures and to correct the parts of them that had been altered.

EDIT:  WE MUSLIMS DO NOT ONLY SAY PBUH AFTER SAYING THE NAME OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD.  WE SAY IT AFTER INVOKING THE NAME OF ANY OF THE PROPHETS.  FOR EXAMPLE, JESUS (PBUH) WAS A GREAT MAN AND MESSENGER OF ALLAH.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS, 18 February 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#99 TheChimp

TheChimp

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 18 February 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

Thank you for the clarification of PBUH.  I often forget that many would not know what that stands for.

Actually, Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) was "unlettered".  Our Imam here in Halifax prefers that term to illiterate, but it means that he could not read or write.  That is one of the reasons Allah (God) selected him as one of his messengers.  To help refute the assertions that Muhammad (PBUH) wrote the Qur'an.

So, in answer to your question Muhammad (PBUH) was not capable of doing any scholarship on the issue you raised, or any other for that matter.  One of the first things revealed was that Allah was revealing the Qur'an to affirm the previous scriptures and to correct the parts of them that had been altered.
Interesting.  That whole "Peace Be Upon Him" thing really makes it impossible to use his name in vain, doesn't it?  Can't you just hear it?

"Mohammad Peace Be Upon Him dammit!!!"  Got no ring to it whatsoever.

#100 fan2456

fan2456

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

View Postweave, on 17 February 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

If we're going to talk about reading for entertainment I can't recommend Steven Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger series enough.  It is the character that the Mark Wahlberg movie "Shooter" was based on.  Hint, the Point of Impact novel was wayyyy better than "Shooter".  Great reading if you are into action.
Read um. You'll love Vince Flynn and his main character Mitch Rapp.

#101 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

View Postfan2456, on 18 February 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Read um. You'll love Vince Flynn and his main character Mitch Rapp.

I'm an engineer by trade, a former competitive shooter, and a reloader.  I geek out on firearms and the science behind them.  What I enjoyed most about those Hunter novels (besides the well conceived stories) was that he was factually accurate about all of the firearm stuff.  You almost never get that out of a fictional novel.  I don't know if Hunter is a gunny or if he researched a ton, but the technical part of his plot line was dead on accurate.  First time I've seen such technical accuracy in "fluffy" work of fiction.

#102 fan2456

fan2456

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I don’t think they are that technical, but I am no where near your knowldege on the firearms side.  They are good action novels, with some good covert insight.

Edited by fan2456, 19 February 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#103 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

View Postfan2456, on 18 February 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

I don’t think they are that technical, but I am no where near your knowldege on the firearms side.  I fix teeth.  They are good action novels, with some good covert insight.

The parts that dealt with actual long distance shooting, the snippits on long range ballistics, loading rounds for maximum precision, how the rifle was modified, even the setup for the conclusion (which I won't spoil here) all legit and accurate.

#104 fan2456

fan2456

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Neat.  I just knew it was impressive

#105 tulax

tulax

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:39 AM

Griftopia by Matt Taibbi and Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

#106 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,891 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

I'd start with All the Pretty Horses, if you're new to McCarthy.  Or maybe Suttree.  Or even better, if you can get your hands on a copy, The Stonemason (a play).

(The reason is that most of McCarthy's stuff is set in the real world.  The Road, set in a post-apocalyptic world, is almost genre fiction and isn't really representative of the rest of his work.)

View Posttulax, on 19 February 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

Griftopia by Matt Taibbi and Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

I didn't know Taibbi had a book out. I'll have to take a look at it.

Edited by Eleven, 19 February 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#107 Oliver_Cromwell

Oliver_Cromwell

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 17 February 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

1, Last thing you want to do is read cover to cover. You could go back and do so, but if you look at it like a project it will be a chore. I'd start with the New Testament. The Gospels read easy. The Old Testament is more Broad Street Bullies and the New King James version of the New Testament is more Soupy/Pommers after the lockout feel. I think you will get a lot of good out of it because you can see beyond the obvious in a lot of things.

2, Pat Buchanan - Suicide of a Superpower....haven't started it yet because I know I will want to go cover to cover and it is a decent size. If you read his books 20 years ago, he was bang on where we ended up.

1, that's a very interesting take on how you put the totality of Scripture in hockey layman's terms. As an aside, I read this a number of years ago to where someone could not attribute a certain quote about the OT and the NT, but I wound up finding it recently. Some people say that this is attributed to Augustine, but I know that Matthew Henry pretty much said it. "The New is in the Old contained, the Old is in the New explained." IOW, they obviously tie together.

2, I like Pat. I may not agree with his theology, but I have a deep appreciation for his love of this country. He's not your typical talking head like Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, or even Alan Colmes. He thinks outside of the "Left/Right" box, which is something that I can appreciate because of how much I've been trying to unlearn from that propaganda machine.

#108 ubkev

ubkev

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:18 AM

Marilyn Manson - The Long Hard Road Out of Hell

Previous recent reads are Walk This Way, The Dirt, The Heroin Diaries, and I Am Ozzy.

Next up is gonna be Anthony Kiedis' Scar Tissue.

I love rock bios if you hadn't noticed.

Edited by ubkev, 20 February 2012 - 05:19 AM.

#109 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

View Postweave, on 17 February 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Just went and picked it up.  GOing to be reading it on my business trip this week :thumbsup:   yay for plane rides...

#110 DR HOLLIDAY

DR HOLLIDAY

Born in 1970- Just like the Sabres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

View Postubkev, on 20 February 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

Marilyn Manson - The Long Hard Road Out of Hell

Previous recent reads are Walk This Way, The Dirt, The Heroin Diaries, and I Am Ozzy.

Next up is gonna be Anthony Kiedis' Scar Tissue.

I love rock bios if you hadn't noticed.

I read Neil Youngs bio a few years back, it is was very good.

#111 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 20 February 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Just went and picked it up.  GOing to be reading it on my business trip this week :thumbsup:   yay for plane rides...

Did you get Point of Impact or one of the others in the series?

Here's hoping I didn;t lead you wrong.  :ph34r:

#112 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

View Postweave, on 20 February 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

Did you get Point of Impact or one of the others in the series?

Here's hoping I didn;t lead you wrong.  :ph34r:

Point of impact.  I may look for others in the series if I like it...

#113 Glass Case Of Emotion

Glass Case Of Emotion

Woah-Oh! We're half way there...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

I read The Road shortly after my first son was born. This book has a completely different and more significant meaning to a new Father than anyone else. The Post-apocalyptic setting strips away everything except the Father-Son relationship and McCarthy does an amazing job of revealing the raw strength and emotion of that bond. I would recommend the book to anyone, but especially fathers of young boys.

#114 ChileanSeaBass

ChileanSeaBass

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Ok, since so many of you are readers, I'll pose this question - "what should I read next?"

First, some background.  Other than a few books I had to read for school, I have only read one work of fiction cover to cover ("Confederacy of Dunces") and that was over 10 years ago.  For whatever reason, I can't "get into" fiction.  I'd love to, but whenever I've started one, I lose interest and never go back.  Non-fiction books, for whatever reason, are different.  I've read plenty, from sports books (Moneyball, The Game) to Bios (Frank Lloyd Wright, Theo Fleury), and everything by Anthony Bourdain. I've also read everything by David Sedaris, but his is sort of a fiction/non-fiction mash-up.

In two weeks I have to fly to Japan for a week long business trip.  What should I read?  I'd like to see if anyone has a suggestion for a novel that may actually be able to keep my attention.

#115 CallawaySabres

CallawaySabres

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

Trade activity for Buffalo on TSN so needless to say, I am starving for material..........

#116 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,551 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostChileanSeaBass, on 20 February 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Ok, since so many of you are readers, I'll pose this question - "what should I read next?"

First, some background.  Other than a few books I had to read for school, I have only read one work of fiction cover to cover ("Confederacy of Dunces") and that was over 10 years ago.  For whatever reason, I can't "get into" fiction.  I'd love to, but whenever I've started one, I lose interest and never go back.  Non-fiction books, for whatever reason, are different.  I've read plenty, from sports books (Moneyball, The Game) to Bios (Frank Lloyd Wright, Theo Fleury), and everything by Anthony Bourdain. I've also read everything by David Sedaris, but his is sort of a fiction/non-fiction mash-up.

In two weeks I have to fly to Japan for a week long business trip.  What should I read?  I'd like to see if anyone has a suggestion for a novel that may actually be able to keep my attention.

I always have a hard time putting down Steven King books. And there are a ton to choose from. "From a Buick 8" is one of my favorites.

#117 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

Why don't you try historical fiction?  Maybe the blending of fiction in real historical settings will be enough to keep your attention.  I like WWII stories for historical fiction.  The Winds of War by Herman Wouk is a classic.

Or any of the early Tom Clancy novels like Hunt for Red October or Sum of all Fears might be enough to rope you in and keep you.  Not really historical fiction but they certainly dealt with relevant topics when they were written.

Is Sci Fi/horror more your thing?  Maybe take a look at some of the stuff Michael Crighton has written.

I guess I'll offer that maybe you should try to find a book that matches your tastes in movies.  If you can give us an idea of what you like to watch on the big screen maybe we can point you to some book ideas.

#118 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett falls into that historical fiction catagory.  Great book.  I have the two "sequals" waiting for me on the shelf next to it.  This thread has actually got me off my ass to finally read them.

Edited by SwampD, 20 February 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#119 MattPie

MattPie

Bikes beat tanks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Maybe you should try some historical fiction or alternative history. The first is fictional characters placed in fairly well researched historical situations, the second taking a single pivotal event in history and having it go the other way.

Or just stick with non-fiction, there's no reason to force yourself to read something you're not really interested in.

#120 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

Wow, 3 consecutive posts mentioning historical fiction.  Has there ever been such agreement in SabreSpace?  :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off topic