Jump to content


What are you eating (or drinking)?

off topic food drink

  • Please log in to reply
1613 replies to this topic

#841 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

So in richmond VA today about 65 out,  got me in the mood for grilling tonight. Flat Iron steaks on sale, so that on tap for tonight. Anybody with a recipe for rub/marinade for that thing? Figure that staek only needs 2-3 hour marinade..so needs to be in the fridge in the next hour

Edited by plenzmd1, 18 December 2012 - 02:41 PM.


#842 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,156 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

View Postplenzmd1, on 18 December 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

So in richmond VA today about 65 out,  got me in the mood for grilling tonight. Flat Iron steaks on sale, so that on tap for tonight. Anybody with a recipe for rub/marinade for that thing? Figure that staek only needs 2-3 hour marinade..so needs to be in the fridge in the next hour

Chop up a good handful of onion, 3 or 4 jalapeno peppers, and a handful of cilantro.  Dump the chopped veggies/cilantro in a 1G ziplock bag.  Put the Flat Iron steak in the bag.  Top with beer.  Seal bag.  Shake to evenly distribute everything.


#843 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,841 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Got a cold, so Jo made me homemade chicken noodle soup. Cooking up leftovers of that to eat with my cocktail of Yukon Jack with a side of NyQuil. I ain't got time for this mumbo jumbo!

#844 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Recipe for mumbo jumbo gumbo:  One part chicken soup, one part Yukon Jack, one part NyQuil.

#845 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,924 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

So somehow...in a quest to be somewhat healthier, I substituted Tanqueray for beer. Pros: less calories, no bloating, no peeing, no bottles to return. Cons: I can actually handle booze quite well, so this leads to martini madness and a lighter wallet from green bottles galore and a happy Drane making online Christmas purchases at 2AM with a Barnabyesque BAC.

#846 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

View Postweave, on 18 December 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:



Chop up a good handful of onion, 3 or 4 jalapeno peppers, and a handful of cilantro.  Dump the chopped veggies/cilantro in a 1G ziplock bag.  Put the Flat Iron steak in the bag.  Top with beer.  Seal bag.  Shake to evenly distribute everything.

So had to move this to today, but will try tonight. I may make a chimmichuri sauce to go along

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 19 December 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

So somehow...in a quest to be somewhat healthier, I substituted Tanqueray for beer. Pros: less calories, no bloating, no peeing, no bottles to return. Cons: I can actually handle booze quite well, so this leads to martini madness and a lighter wallet from green bottles galore and a happy Drane making online Christmas purchases at 2AM with a Barnabyesque BAC.

My wife was a tanqueray drinker for twenty years, has now switched to Hendricks. If you like the real botanical Gins, you might want  to try it. She  also liked it with Fever Tree tonic, which might cost more than the damn booze.

Edited by plenzmd1, 19 December 2012 - 10:26 AM.


#847 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,841 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostEleven, on 18 December 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

Recipe for mumbo jumbo gumbo:  One part chicken soup, one part Yukon Jack, one part NyQuil.

That really sounds awful when you put it all in one place like that lol

Yukon Jack does pair well with chicken soup though.

#848 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,924 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

View Postplenzmd1, on 19 December 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

So had to move this to today, but will try tonight. I may make a chimmichuri sauce to go along



My wife was a tanqueray drinker for twenty years, has now switched to Hendricks. If you like the real botanical Gins, you might want to try it. She also liked it with Fever Tree tonic, which might cost more than the damn booze.

Thanks. I have always liked it but never made it my go-to. I will give those a whirl.

#849 TrueBluePhD

TrueBluePhD

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,900 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheektowaga, NY

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 19 December 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

So somehow...in a quest to be somewhat healthier, I substituted Tanqueray for beer. Pros: less calories, no bloating, no peeing, no bottles to return. Cons: I can actually handle booze quite well, so this leads to martini madness and a lighter wallet from green bottles galore and a happy Drane making online Christmas purchases at 2AM with a Barnabyesque BAC.

.....do we even want to know?  :P

#850 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,924 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostTrueBluePhD, on 19 December 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

.....do we even want to know? :P

I don't know how it will ship from Russia....but I hope they at least cut some airholes for her......

#851 MattPie

MattPie

    Bikes beat tanks

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Strafing some corners

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Baja Fresh carnitas tacos. Mmmm.

#852 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

chocolate truffles (homemade, of course)

#853 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

    Resistance is futile

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,418 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 19 December 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

I don't know how it will ship from Russia....but I hope they at least cut some airholes for her......

It'll probably take you 20 seconds to score, too. Heyooo.

#854 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,841 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Since Jo is leaving for Ohio tomorrow morning to spend Christmas with her family, we exchanged gifts last night. She surprised me with this beer:

Fireside Chat by 21st Amendment Brewery (California)

http://21st-amendmen.../fireside-chat/

She stumbled across it somewhere and knew my fascination with both Teddy and FD would let me like this beer. Well let me tell you, it's as good as any beer you'd ever want to drink on a cold winters day.

She also bought me cheese. The stinkiest she could get from the little Italian cheese shop in Rochester. Look it up, it's called Fontina. And a nice cutting board made from a cookie of some very nice wood. And a cheese shaver.

Stinky cheese and dark beer. The epitome of winter for me. I've got a keeper. :thumbsup:

#855 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

The boy made a rather fancy breakfast this morning (we also did our x-mas last night):  started with eggs in a frame (egg cooked in a cutout of sourdough bread), then topped with duck prosciutto and truffle cheese.  Also had maple sausage, blackberry yogurt, and acai juice (and coffee).  So yummy.

#856 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Bump ...

Home made chilli, from scratch, last might.  Yummy!!

Bosc pears for desert.  They don't look like much.  Kind of brownish green skin, but man are they sweet and juicy on the inside.  Farm fresh from the Annapolis Valley in NS.  I highly recommend them.

Posted Image

#857 Ghost of Dwight Drane

Ghost of Dwight Drane

    Texting Nun

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,924 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Pears are underrated. They are the Dixon Ward of fruit......

#858 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Holly Springs, NC via Hamburg, NY

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'm gonna fire up the smoker for the game tomorrow, not sure what I'm going to do yet.  I'm tempted to do a brisket, but I have never been totally pleased with the results.

#859 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,156 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostSabres Fan In NS, on 19 January 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

Bump ...

Home made chilli, from scratch, last might.  Yummy!!

Bosc pears for desert.  They don't look like much.  Kind of brownish green skin, but man are they sweet and juicy on the inside.  Farm fresh from the Annapolis Valley in NS.  I highly recommend them.

Posted Image

Farm fresh from NS in January?  That don't seem likely.

#860 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,841 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostGhost of Dwight Drane, on 19 January 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Pears are underrated. They are the Dixon Ward of fruit......

Brilliant.

#861 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo, or Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

View Postweave, on 19 January 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Farm fresh from NS in January?  That don't seem likely.

Right.

Picked in late fall, even into November most years, as the Annapolis Valley is very nice weather wise late into the year.

In cold storage from that point though.  So, not really farm fresh.

#862 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,156 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Today's gameday snacking spread is a platter of Welsh cheddar, soprasetta, a variety of crackers, and a bottle of Ommegang Duvel rustica Belgian style blonde ale.

#863 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    Makin' it rain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

I made brown sugar cinnamon aebelskivers this morning.

PTR

#864 MattPie

MattPie

    Bikes beat tanks

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Strafing some corners

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Potatoes and Peas in Thai Red Curry. Took it to a party with a bunch of Flyers fans yesterday, leftovers today.

#865 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,156 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Yesterday dinner time found me traveling through Leroy, NY.  Stopped in at a place right on Main St in Leroy (rt. 5) called Smokin' Eagle Barbeque.  Dumpy place.  Like, really dumpy.  Looks like a classic dive bar with an attached dining room.,  The dining area was clean and well lit but in bad need of remodeling.  Apparently this place used to be a pretty rough and rowdy bar but recently got new owners that have turned it into a barbeque joint.

Mediocre but acceptable tap list.  They have all of the expected drafts for WNY and they also had a few of the more common micros.  I went with a Brooklyn Brown Ale.  The beer wasn't too cold and it was in a proper pint glass (what's with the plethora of 12oz "pints" lately?).  Tasted fresh but too much head on the pour.  (I'm not paying $5.50 to get 13oz instead of 16 because the bartender thinks a 1" head looks better)

Typical barbeque menu.  8 or 10 sides to choose from and the typical lineup of 'que.  They offer a "regular" and chipotle barbeque sauce.  We ordered two platters to get a sampling of most everything they make, pulled pork, ribs, brisket, chicken.  We ordered garlic mashed, sweet potato fries, coleslaw, and baked beans w/ pulled pork for our sides.

The platters were huge and any one platter could easily feed two, probably three people.  The wife and I ate maybe 1//4 of the food that came out.

I love the spice rub that they are using.  Lots of black pepper and thyme.  Good ground chili flavors too.  It was really evident in the barbeque chicken and pulled pork.  And the chipotle sauce was good and spicy without being too spicy.  The "regular" sauce was very tangy, almost Carolina style.

The ribs were honestly the best I've ever had in NY.  I've had great ribs down south but I've never been wowed by barbeque joint ribs in NY.  These were a bit over done (they were fall off the bone tender.  I prefer them with a little more "tooth" to them).  But the flavor was outstanding.  Every bit as good as what I make at home.  that is high  praise from me as until last night I had yet to find an NY restaurant that had ribs I like as much as the ribs I make at home.  The rub they are using is fantastic, the sauces are great compliments, and they weren't over-smoked.  Good just-a-bit-more-than subtle smokey goodness.

The pulled pork was moist and delicious.  Plenty of rub flavor.  Simple and well done.

The brisket was outstanding.  Most moist and tender brisket I've ever had.  Brisket is damned tough to do well (I'm still trying to master it) and these folks hit it dead on out opf the park.  Best part of my meal.  And better than the brisket I've had down south as well.  Really, really good stuff.

And the chicken was damned near perfect too.  Moist, tender, subtle smokey flavor that wasn't overpowering.  And the thyme in the spice rub was fantastic with the bird meat.

The garlic mashed was real taters.  Skins included in the mash.  Red potatoes.  Nice touch.  Simple yet tasty.  Cornbread came with both platters and it was moist, not dry.  The beans were sweet, tender, and a touch spicy.  Very nice indeed.  Sweet potato fries were proerly done.  Would have liked some honey to drizzle on them.  My only complaint with the meal was that I didn't care for the dressing they used for their coleslaw.  Not sure what it was that I didn't like about it but I guess every meal is going to have a flaw, right?

We've got two lunches worth of leftovers in the fridge.  We each had a beer.  Total bill with tip was just under $50.  Well done indeed.  I AM going to find an excuse to get back into Leroy for another meal there.

#866 bobis

bobis

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

coffee

#867 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,841 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

View Postweave, on 27 January 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

Yesterday dinner time found me traveling through Leroy, NY.  Stopped in at a place right on Main St in Leroy (rt. 5) called Smokin' Eagle Barbeque.  Dumpy place.  Like, really dumpy.  Looks like a classic dive bar with an attached dining room.,  The dining area was clean and well lit but in bad need of remodeling.  Apparently this place used to be a pretty rough and rowdy bar but recently got new owners that have turned it into a barbeque joint.

Mediocre but acceptable tap list.  They have all of the expected drafts for WNY and they also had a few of the more common micros.  I went with a Brooklyn Brown Ale.  The beer wasn't too cold and it was in a proper pint glass (what's with the plethora of 12oz "pints" lately?).  Tasted fresh but too much head on the pour.  (I'm not paying $5.50 to get 13oz instead of 16 because the bartender thinks a 1" head looks better)

Typical barbeque menu.  8 or 10 sides to choose from and the typical lineup of 'que.  They offer a "regular" and chipotle barbeque sauce.  We ordered two platters to get a sampling of most everything they make, pulled pork, ribs, brisket, chicken.  We ordered garlic mashed, sweet potato fries, coleslaw, and baked beans w/ pulled pork for our sides.

The platters were huge and any one platter could easily feed two, probably three people.  The wife and I ate maybe 1//4 of the food that came out.

I love the spice rub that they are using.  Lots of black pepper and thyme.  Good ground chili flavors too.  It was really evident in the barbeque chicken and pulled pork.  And the chipotle sauce was good and spicy without being too spicy.  The "regular" sauce was very tangy, almost Carolina style.

The ribs were honestly the best I've ever had in NY.  I've had great ribs down south but I've never been wowed by barbeque joint ribs in NY.  These were a bit over done (they were fall off the bone tender.  I prefer them with a little more "tooth" to them).  But the flavor was outstanding.  Every bit as good as what I make at home.  that is high  praise from me as until last night I had yet to find an NY restaurant that had ribs I like as much as the ribs I make at home.  The rub they are using is fantastic, the sauces are great compliments, and they weren't over-smoked.  Good just-a-bit-more-than subtle smokey goodness.

The pulled pork was moist and delicious.  Plenty of rub flavor.  Simple and well done.

The brisket was outstanding.  Most moist and tender brisket I've ever had.  Brisket is damned tough to do well (I'm still trying to master it) and these folks hit it dead on out opf the park.  Best part of my meal.  And better than the brisket I've had down south as well.  Really, really good stuff.

And the chicken was damned near perfect too.  Moist, tender, subtle smokey flavor that wasn't overpowering.  And the thyme in the spice rub was fantastic with the bird meat.

The garlic mashed was real taters.  Skins included in the mash.  Red potatoes.  Nice touch.  Simple yet tasty.  Cornbread came with both platters and it was moist, not dry.  The beans were sweet, tender, and a touch spicy.  Very nice indeed.  Sweet potato fries were proerly done.  Would have liked some honey to drizzle on them.  My only complaint with the meal was that I didn't care for the dressing they used for their coleslaw.  Not sure what it was that I didn't like about it but I guess every meal is going to have a flaw, right?

We've got two lunches worth of leftovers in the fridge.  We each had a beer.  Total bill with tip was just under $50.  Well done indeed.  I AM going to find an excuse to get back into Leroy for another meal there.

I've driven past there so many times but I probably would never have given that place a look. On your recommendation I'll have to take the girl there some night since she's a pulled pork connoisseur.

#868 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,785 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 27 January 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

I've driven past there so many times but I probably would never have given that place a look. On your recommendation I'll have to take the girl there some night since she's a pulled pork connoisseur.

:flirt:

#869 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,841 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostSpndnchz, on 27 January 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:



:flirt:

I walked right into that one, didn't I? :lol:

#870 Grumpy

Grumpy

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:WNY

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Sipping Bushmills on the rocks while grilling between periods.  Pork tenderloin.

#871 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

View Postweave, on 27 January 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

Yesterday dinner time found me traveling through Leroy, NY.  Stopped in at a place right on Main St in Leroy (rt. 5) called Smokin' Eagle Barbeque.  Dumpy place.  Like, really dumpy.  Looks like a classic dive bar with an attached dining room.,  The dining area was clean and well lit but in bad need of remodeling.  Apparently this place used to be a pretty rough and rowdy bar but recently got new owners that have turned it into a barbeque joint.

Mediocre but acceptable tap list.  They have all of the expected drafts for WNY and they also had a few of the more common micros.  I went with a Brooklyn Brown Ale.  The beer wasn't too cold and it was in a proper pint glass (what's with the plethora of 12oz "pints" lately?).  Tasted fresh but too much head on the pour.  (I'm not paying $5.50 to get 13oz instead of 16 because the bartender thinks a 1" head looks better)

Typical barbeque menu.  8 or 10 sides to choose from and the typical lineup of 'que.  They offer a "regular" and chipotle barbeque sauce.  We ordered two platters to get a sampling of most everything they make, pulled pork, ribs, brisket, chicken.  We ordered garlic mashed, sweet potato fries, coleslaw, and baked beans w/ pulled pork for our sides.

The platters were huge and any one platter could easily feed two, probably three people.  The wife and I ate maybe 1//4 of the food that came out.

I love the spice rub that they are using.  Lots of black pepper and thyme.  Good ground chili flavors too.  It was really evident in the barbeque chicken and pulled pork.  And the chipotle sauce was good and spicy without being too spicy.  The "regular" sauce was very tangy, almost Carolina style.

The ribs were honestly the best I've ever had in NY.  I've had great ribs down south but I've never been wowed by barbeque joint ribs in NY.  These were a bit over done (they were fall off the bone tender.  I prefer them with a little more "tooth" to them).  But the flavor was outstanding.  Every bit as good as what I make at home.  that is high  praise from me as until last night I had yet to find an NY restaurant that had ribs I like as much as the ribs I make at home.  The rub they are using is fantastic, the sauces are great compliments, and they weren't over-smoked.  Good just-a-bit-more-than subtle smokey goodness.

The pulled pork was moist and delicious.  Plenty of rub flavor.  Simple and well done.

The brisket was outstanding.  Most moist and tender brisket I've ever had.  Brisket is damned tough to do well (I'm still trying to master it) and these folks hit it dead on out opf the park.  Best part of my meal.  And better than the brisket I've had down south as well.  Really, really good stuff.

And the chicken was damned near perfect too.  Moist, tender, subtle smokey flavor that wasn't overpowering.  And the thyme in the spice rub was fantastic with the bird meat.

The garlic mashed was real taters.  Skins included in the mash.  Red potatoes.  Nice touch.  Simple yet tasty.  Cornbread came with both platters and it was moist, not dry.  The beans were sweet, tender, and a touch spicy.  Very nice indeed.  Sweet potato fries were proerly done.  Would have liked some honey to drizzle on them.  My only complaint with the meal was that I didn't care for the dressing they used for their coleslaw.  Not sure what it was that I didn't like about it but I guess every meal is going to have a flaw, right?

We've got two lunches worth of leftovers in the fridge.  We each had a beer.  Total bill with tip was just under $50.  Well done indeed.  I AM going to find an excuse to get back into Leroy for another meal there.

I'll have to go.  Sounds terrific.

#872 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

For game yesterday did a South Carolina style pulled pork, and. It was awesome. Mustard rub for 24 hrs,   Only  two hours in the smoker , brush on a mustard sauce and finished covered in foil for three hours in the oven. It was freaking great, and easy. More than happy to put the recipe up if anybody interested.

#873 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

View Postplenzmd1, on 04 February 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

For game yesterday did a South Carolina style pulled pork, and. It was awesome. Mustard rub for 24 hrs,   Only  two hours in the smoker , brush on a mustard sauce and finished covered in foil for three hours in the oven. It was freaking great, and easy. More than happy to put the recipe up if anybody interested.

Paging weave to the eating/drinking thread...

(Sounds amazing, plenz, but I don't own a smoker.)

A day late, but the bf took charge of the food and drink for the game yesterday, and he definitely earned a gold star:

- olives, 3 kinds of cheese (Welsh cheddar, aged gouda, and something else), crackers, dates, pear, and chips/dip for appetizers
- mini burgers on fancy rolls for the meal
- baklava from a Lebanese bakery for dessert
- Chimay (for him) and Lindeman's Pomme Kriek (for me) to drink

So good, I didn't even miss the wings.

#874 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

No Need for a smoker, either a charcoal grill or gas grill can do as well. Recipe is from Cooks Country, alomg with Americas Test Kitchen a great place for evryday recipes that work. I am a subsciber, but they are okay with posting the recipe as long as they get attribution, so please visit their site at www.cookscountry.com to watch the video of this as well. Just put South Carolina Pulled Pork in the search button.I think video will play but not the recipe not display, so here is the recipe. Truly was awesome pulled pork in halk the time, and people loved, loved,loved the mustard sause.

I also removed the bone from the roast and open up the shoulder so i could get the spice rub all through the meat for the 24 hr spice bath..seemed to work well.

BTW, I cooked until 195 internal temp.

Ingredients Spice Rub and Pork
  • 3 tablespoons dry mustard
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons pepper
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds) (see note)
  • 4 cups wood chips, soaked for 15 minutes
Mustard Barbecue Sauce
  • 1/2 cup yellow mustard
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
Instructions
  • 1. For the spice rub and pork: Combine dry mustard, brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne, breaking up any lumps. Dry pork with paper towels and rub all over with spice mixture. (Roast can be wrapped tightly in plastic and refrigerated for 24 hours.)
  • 2. Seal wood chips in foil packet and cut vent holes in top. Open bottom vent on grill. Light 50 coals; when covered with fine gray ash, pour in pile on one side of grill. Arrange foil packet directly on coals. Set cooking grate in place and heat, covered, with lid vent open halfway until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 5 minutes. (For gas grill, place foil packet directly on primary burner. Heat all burners on high, covered, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and shut other burner[s] off.) Scrape and oil cooking grate. Place pork on cool side of grill and barbecue, covered, until exterior of pork has a rosy crust, about 2 hours.
  • 3. For the mustard barbecue sauce and to finish: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and pepper in bowl until smooth. Transfer pork to roasting pan and brush 1/2 cup sauce over meat. Cover roasting pan tightly with foil and bake until fork inserted into pork can be removed with no resistance, 2 to 3 hours. Remove from oven and rest, still wrapped in foil, for 30 minutes. Unwrap pork and, when cool enough to handle, pull meat into thin shreds, discarding fat, if desired. Toss pork with remaining sauce. Serve.

Edited by plenzmd1, 05 February 2013 - 10:14 AM.


#875 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Holly Springs, NC via Hamburg, NY

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

View Postplenzmd1, on 05 February 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

No Need for a smoker, either a charcoal grill or gas grill can do as well. Recipe is from Cooks Country, alomg with Americas Test Kitchen a great place for evryday recipes that work. I am a subsciber, but they are okay with posting the recipe as long as they get attribution, so please visit their site at www.cookscountry.com to watch the video of this as well. Just put South Carolina Pulled Pork in the search button.I think video will play but not the recipe not display, so here is the recipe. Truly was awesome pulled pork in halk the time, and people loved, loved,loved the mustard sause.

I also removed the bone from the roast and open up the shoulder so i could get the spice rub all through the meat for the 24 hr spice bath..seemed to work well.

BTW, I cooked until 195 internal temp.

Ingredients Spice Rub and Pork
  • 3 tablespoons dry mustard
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons pepper
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds) (see note)
  • 4 cups wood chips, soaked for 15 minutes
Mustard Barbecue Sauce
  • 1/2 cup yellow mustard
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
Instructions
  • 1. For the spice rub and pork: Combine dry mustard, brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne, breaking up any lumps. Dry pork with paper towels and rub all over with spice mixture. (Roast can be wrapped tightly in plastic and refrigerated for 24 hours.)
  • 2. Seal wood chips in foil packet and cut vent holes in top. Open bottom vent on grill. Light 50 coals; when covered with fine gray ash, pour in pile on one side of grill. Arrange foil packet directly on coals. Set cooking grate in place and heat, covered, with lid vent open halfway until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 5 minutes. (For gas grill, place foil packet directly on primary burner. Heat all burners on high, covered, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and shut other burner[s] off.) Scrape and oil cooking grate. Place pork on cool side of grill and barbecue, covered, until exterior of pork has a rosy crust, about 2 hours.
  • 3. For the mustard barbecue sauce and to finish: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and pepper in bowl until smooth. Transfer pork to roasting pan and brush 1/2 cup sauce over meat. Cover roasting pan tightly with foil and bake until fork inserted into pork can be removed with no resistance, 2 to 3 hours. Remove from oven and rest, still wrapped in foil, for 30 minutes. Unwrap pork and, when cool enough to handle, pull meat into thin shreds, discarding fat, if desired. Toss pork with remaining sauce. Serve.


I just might have to give this a try.  I have done the smoker to oven or grill cheating method a few times with pork shoulder and ribs with good results.  If I recall, you have a BGE, don't you?  I'm so tempted to get one and move away from my Weber bullet smoker and gas grill combo and do all charcoal all the time.

We did a prime rib on the grill for the Super Bowl.  Just rubbed it with roasted garlic, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.  Cooked indirect on the grill to 125 internal (I have to highly recommend a  Thermapen for baking, grilling and brewing) and let it rest for 30 minutes.  It turned out fantastic.

#876 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 05 February 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

I just might have to give this a try.  I have done the smoker to oven or grill cheating method a few times with pork shoulder and ribs with good results.  If I recall, you have a BGE, don't you?  I'm so tempted to get one and move away from my Weber bullet smoker and gas grill combo and do all charcoal all the time.

We did a prime rib on the grill for the Super Bowl.  Just rubbed it with roasted garlic, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.  Cooked indirect on the grill to 125 internal (I have to highly recommend a  Thermapen for baking, grilling and brewing) and let it rest for 30 minutes.  It turned out fantastic.

I do have the BGE, and must say I do not love it as a grill. I use it almost exclusively now for either true smoking, or even as an oven when i went to cook something at 350 say, but still get the charcoal/smoke flavor in things like standing rib roast, leg of lamb, beer can chicken etc. For that it has been great. Also, I cannot bake anthing in there to save my life..pizza has always turned out like chit for me, but think it may just be I am a dolt on how to get it done.

I also have the Thermapen, and love it. But for the BGE, i use the Maverick as it gives  not only the internal temp of the meat, but the real air temp inside  the grill/smoker. The POS thermometer that came with the BGE was almost 60 degrees off.. I kept overcooking stuff and just could not figure it out till i got this. http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B004IMA718

Do try the pork..it was so good  my kids even begrungingly said it was good..and that is a tough thing for them to do :w00t:

Edited by plenzmd1, 05 February 2013 - 11:22 AM.


#877 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Nice - thanks, plenz! Sounds delicious.

#878 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,841 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Cooked up a fried bologna sandwich for a late lunch and washing it down with an ice cold Genny. If this doesn't will the Sabres to victory, I don't know what can.

#879 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

    This pleases Nikita

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,841 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Pairing a nice cold Genesee Bock with a grilled cheese garbage plate this evening, because I want to take a sick day tomorrow. :blush:

#880 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Holly Springs, NC via Hamburg, NY

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Fat Tuesday jambalaya and homebrew.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: off topic, food, drink