#1 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,629 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

I've had it.

Look, I'm no huge MAG fan, but if we're going to start threads about shedding players, let's start shedding the ones who most need to get out of blue and gold sweaters.

Honestly, I have no idea why, after ONE decent (and only decent) season, Regier saw fit to give this floater a 4M contract.  He does some stupid things during most games, and that's when he bothers to do anything at all.  LIke years past, he won't reach for a puck that's three feet away from him (I guess that if it's not right on his tape, it's not worth going after).  

Yeah, once in a while, he'll stick up for a teammate--most notably, Drury, when Staff was still fighting for a spot with the team.  But generally, there is no effort, no heart, and whatever skill he has is wasted because he simply skates around.

Connolly 2.0 (but, to my knowledge, without the drinks).

Get rid of this guy ASAP.  There is a team out there that thinks that Stafford is a good player who "just needs a change of scenery."  Find that team, and make a trade.

EDIT:  Yes, I saw the pass to Ennis.  Nice.  Freaking Korab could have made that pass.  For that matter, KorabRules probably could have made that pass.

Edited by Eleven, 13 December 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#2 HopefulFuture

HopefulFuture

Swords Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

Ok, so.....what your saying is that Stafford needs to go, right? :P

We all already are aware of this. Boyes can fill his spot when he comes back for the remainder of the season.

#3 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,629 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

View PostHopefulFuture, on 13 December 2011 - 11:27 PM, said:

Ok, so.....what your saying is that Stafford needs to go, right? :P

We all already are aware of this. Boyes can fill his spot when he comes back for the remainder of the season.

The sad thing is that Boyes probably can.

#4 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

Amen.  I was SO hoping we'd trade him last year, or right after last year, when his value was at an all-time high.  I just wasn't buying the "he figured it out" line about him suddenly having a terrific work ethic because that's what it takes to make it in the NHL.  (Funny coincidence that he'd "figure it out" in a contract year.)

And I've never forgiven him for his "we've got other guys for that" line about fighting.  You're either a hockey player on this team or you're not.

Also, can we just once trade a guy when his value is high?  Just once?  Darcy needs some foresight.  Afinogenov led the team in points after 2006 but it was clear even then that he wasn't a guy we'd count on the a Cup run.  Instead of trading him, we re-signed him and by the time he left, his value was basically zero.  What are the chances Stafford is untradeable in a year or two?

#5 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

You could have said nothing more than "Floater".... which can also be used to describe 3-4 other guys.

I agree with everything else you said, too, btw....

#6 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

View PostSilverNRed, on 13 December 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

Amen.  I was SO hoping we'd trade him last year, or right after last year, when his value was at an all-time high.  I just wasn't buying the "he figured it out" line about him suddenly having a terrific work ethic because that's what it takes to make it in the NHL.  (Funny coincidence that he'd "figure it out" in a contract year.)

And I've never forgiven him for his "we've got other guys for that" line about fighting.  You're either a hockey player on this team or you're not.

Also, can we just once trade a guy when his value is high?  Just once?  Darcy needs some foresight.  Afinogenov led the team in points after 2006 but it was clear even then that he wasn't a guy we'd count on the a Cup run.  Instead of trading him, we re-signed him and by the time he left, his value was basically zero.  What are the chances Stafford is untradeable in a year or two?

a year or two. Don't think GM's out there don't see his value as a negative one. Contract and poor play at this point I doubt he is movable at this point.

#7 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,958 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

Get rid of Stafford, and while they're at it, get rid of his buddy, Derek Roy, too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by sizzlemeister, 14 December 2011 - 12:21 AM.

#8 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:19 AM

:o :doh:

#9 neverenough

neverenough

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:16 AM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 14 December 2011 - 12:16 AM, said:

Get rid of Stafford, and while they're at it, get rid of his buddy, Derek Roy, too.

Posted Image

Posted Image
grabbin da balls?geezzzzzzzzzzzzz   :wallbash:

#10 kishoph

kishoph

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:28 AM

The problem with Stafford is if he would try, he'd be a hell of a player, but he just won't put forth the effort.

#11 neverenough

neverenough

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:42 AM

View Postkishoph, on 14 December 2011 - 05:28 AM, said:

The problem with Stafford is if he would try, he'd be a hell of a player, but he just won't put forth the effort.
The problem is we always talk about what stafford could of done. :doh:

#12 Drunkard

Drunkard

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:22 AM

There's a laundry list of players I'm sick of seeing in Blue and Gold. I thought the Pegula era was gonna act like some sort of magic deodorant that covered up some of this team's shortcomings but for some reason this has been a horrible start to the season. Despite the fact that we're actually winning more games than at this point last year, I don't think I've ever felt this lethargic when it comes to watching games.

Stafford, Boyes, Gragnani, and at many points Roy and Sekera have all pissed me off to the point where I'm tired of seeing them on the ice.

#13 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

No hockey sense, no passion. Stafford's obviously tuned out Ruff, along with a host of others. He's got to do something dirty and get away with it in order to embolden and kickstart himself on some kind of streak.  Stafford should have been gone eons ago when he called our fans a bunch of mouse potatoes. What's wrong with Buffalo? They hang on to stale guys way too long because they're so conservative and afraid of change...and with this new management, are still poor judges of both talent and character.

Edited by 716, 14 December 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#14 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,389 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

View Post716, on 14 December 2011 - 07:36 AM, said:

No hockey sense, no passion. Stafford's obviously tuned out Ruff, along with a host of others. A weirdo too with those costumes he puts on.He's got to do something dirty and get away with it in order to embolden and kickstart himself on some kind of streak.  Stafford should have been gone eons ago when he called our fans a bunch of mouse potatoes. What's wrong with Buffalo? They hang on to stale guys way too long because they're so conservative and afraid of change...and with this new management, are still poor judges of both talent and character.

What?

Edited by d4rksabre, 14 December 2011 - 10:16 AM.

#15 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,626 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

Like was discussed in the GDT, Roy would be at the top of my hit list, but DR would then have to bring in a center(especially with Hecht's status).  The time to fix this mess was in the off-season, and they failed miserably with "no mas" Leino begging out of the center position.

That being said, out of the "core", I would dump Stafford and Roy tomorrow, and see how the rest of the season plays out.  How much worse can it get considering the production that you are getting from these two.

#16 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,989 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

View PostSilverNRed, on 13 December 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

That would be nice.

I will say that although I may be kidding myself, I don't see Stafford's struggles this year as the result of lack of effort.  To me it looks like he's completely lost his confidence.  At the end of the day it doesn't matter because an unproductive rut is an unproductive rut -- but I think there's a greater chance of him digging himself out of it at some point when he's hustling as opposed to when he's just mailing it in until the puck comes to him in scoring position.

#17 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,389 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

View Post716, on 14 December 2011 - 10:12 AM, said:

you're right and I've mended up my post, not a cool thing to say..

I was just curious what costumes you were referring to, to be honest.

#18 DontPatTheGerbe

DontPatTheGerbe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

View Postd4rksabre, on 14 December 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

I was just curious what costumes you were referring to, to be honest.

Perhaps the Skyrim Bacon-Imbued Dragon Helm Sizzle posted in GDT?

#19 ROCBuffalo

ROCBuffalo

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

Stafford does need to go, So does Sekera, so does Boyes. Zassian deserves a spot on this team along with McNabb. I am sick of seeing Ellis out there as well, great guy but not an NHL player. We need scoring from all of our lines, not just one. I am sick of seeing blown coverage when the other team is coming across the blue line.

#20 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

Feather hat: http://1.bp.blogspot...staffy+cfc3.jpg
As Jesus: http://www.thegooses...susstafford.jpg
With the Furries: http://3.bp.blogspot...the+furries.jpg
The Lady Gaga Wig, (whose play inspires the team to play like "little monsters"): http://hfboards.com/...d.php?t=1011173
Fu Man Drew's workout: http://ca.sports.yah...urn=nhl-wp13166

Edited by 716, 14 December 2011 - 10:49 AM.

#21 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Dreamer of Dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,958 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

View PostROCBuffalo, on 14 December 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

Stafford does need to go, So does Sekera, so does Boyes. Zassian deserves a spot on this team along with McNabb. I am sick of seeing Ellis out there as well, great guy but not an NHL player. We need scoring from all of our lines, not just one. I am sick of seeing blown coverage when the other team is coming across the blue line.

I'm not seeing the problem with Sekera, or Boyes.

Neither have been problematic this season.  Boyes, of course, we can't say without a larger sample, but he was clearly getting hot before being injured.

Sekera, to me, is one of the few players on the roster to actually have a relatively smooth upward progression in his development.

While I would like to see Kassian and McNabb on the roster now, I'm not holding my breath.  I think it's more important the team shed the floaters, as discussed (Roy and Stafford) and see what that does.

MAGs isn't going anywhere since I think last night confirmed Lindy has a crush on him.  He should be high on the list of trade-bait, though.

Frankly, I would like to see either Goose or Kaleta go, too.  Not that I have any emnity toward them, but aside from Gaustad's face-off skill, neither are helping the team right now in terms of offense.  Or maybe Ennis, if the pot needs to be sweetened.

#22 SwampD

SwampD

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,533 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

View Post716, on 14 December 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

The Lady Gaga Wig, (whose play inspires the team to play like "little monsters"): http://hfboards.com/...d.php?t=1011173

"...YOU are obviously a non-conformist,..AND A REBEL!!!" - Burgermeister Meisterburger

Of all the reasons to hate Drew, this is the most ridiculous.

#23 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Just wanted to chime in again this morning and say Stafford still sucks.

#24 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

Kain refused the sacrifice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

Roy, Stafford and Ennis highlighted as sucking right now. They need to get their act together, quickly or be shown the door.

#25 weave

weave

Self-appointed Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

View Postnfreeman, on 14 December 2011 - 10:14 AM, said:

That would be nice.

I will say that although I may be kidding myself, I don't see Stafford's struggles this year as the result of lack of effort.  To me it looks like he's completely lost his confidence.  At the end of the day it doesn't matter because an unproductive rut is an unproductive rut -- but I think there's a greater chance of him digging himself out of it at some point when he's hustling as opposed to when he's just mailing it in until the puck comes to him in scoring position.

I agree.  Other than the OT goal play, Stafford does seem to not be loafing.  But I don't think he's working as hard as he should be for loose pucks either.

And I wonder how much of Stafford's funk this season has to do with Derek Roy being here?  IYR Staffords goal streaks last season came with Roy on the shelf.

#26 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

View PostLimeySabre, on 14 December 2011 - 11:58 AM, said:

Roy, Stafford and Ennis highlighted as sucking right now. They need to get their act together, quickly or be shown the door.
I wouldn't put Ennis in there.  Though since Roy's "suck" is contagious, he'll probably be infected and sucking soon too.

View Postweave, on 14 December 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

I agree.  Other than the OT goal play, Stafford does seem to not be loafing.  But I don't think he's working as hard as he should be for loose pucks either.

And I wonder how much of Stafford's funk this season has to do with Derek Roy being here?  IYR Staffords goal streaks last season came with Roy on the shelf.
Everyone's goal streaks last season came with Roy on the shelf.  Funny thing, that.

#27 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Habitual Line Stepper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  • Location:Parma Heights, OH by way of Orlando, Tallahassee and Niagara Falls

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 14 December 2011 - 12:16 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ah, the return of the Sausage-Grabbing Mary's.  I was wondering how long it would take before this photo resurfaced.

#28 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,989 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

View Postweave, on 14 December 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

This.  Stafford and Ennis are exactly the type of weakminded/young and impressionable player that is dragged down into mediocrity by the Dark SGM Lord.  As far as that goes, it's critical to keep him away from Adam and Kassian.

#29 Assquatch

Assquatch

Did someone order a new core?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

View Post716, on 14 December 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

You know the Gaga wig one is fake, right?

#30 716

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

View PostAssquatch, on 14 December 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:

You know the Gaga wig one is fake, right?

yeah it's fake but I wonder if the Gaga wig exists?

#31 Who Else?

Who Else?

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

Imagine Stafford on a team like Detroit.  I think this is one of the reasons they are not getting rid of some of the "passengers" as Drury called them after their performance in the playoffs of the President's Trophy season.

#32 nbash

nbash

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

Got a little misty seeing BillsRCursed's pic of Barnaby, Ray and May.  Man, that's when we had grit, and Ted Nolan knew how to turn them loose.  Oh well, that's a long gone era, but on a related note I can't believe the way Kassian is putting on a power forward clinic.  He created tons of scoring chances last night.

I know Boyes is the popular choice to supplant Stafford's hibernation school of hockey, but Kassian is the player that I feel calls Staff out with his play night after night since his call up.

#33 Robviously

Robviously

What You Don't See

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

View Postnbash, on 14 December 2011 - 01:18 PM, said:

Got a little misty seeing BillsRCursed's pic of Barnaby, Ray and May.  Man, that's when we had grit, and Ted Nolan knew how to turn them loose.  Oh well, that's a long gone era, but on a related note I can't believe the way Kassian is putting on a power forward clinic.  He created tons of scoring chances last night.

I know Boyes is the popular choice to supplant Stafford's hibernation school of hockey, but Kassian is the player that I feel calls Staff out with his play night after night since his call up.
Kassian makes a lot of the older guys look bad.  Another reason to make a trade soon is to clear out some of the veteran "passengers" before they have a chance to influence the young guys who play like they give a crap (i.e. Kassian, McNabb, etc.).  Do you really want Roy and Stafford showing these guys the ropes in the NHL?  No thanks.

#34 sjb012

sjb012

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

Drew Stafford. My most hated Buffalo Sabre of all time. He received the torch from Dick Smehlik.

#35 Tom Backyard

Tom Backyard

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

is he gone yet?

#36 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

View Postsjb012, on 14 December 2011 - 03:07 PM, said:

Drew Stafford. My most hated Buffalo Sabre of all time. He received the torch from Dick Smehlik.

There are definitely more hated Sabres than Drew.  For example: Miro Satan or Tim Connolly were definitely more hated than Drew is now.  Even Roy is more of a whipping boy than Drew. IMO.

#37 Touched by Boyes

Touched by Boyes

Expert Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 14 December 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

There are definitely more hated Sabres than Drew.  For example: Miro Satan or Tim Connolly were definitely more hated than Drew is now.  Even Roy is more of a whipping boy than Drew. IMO.
Agreed.

Although right now, in order of dislike, my list goes:

Roy
MAG
Stafford
Ellis (not that he doesn't try, he should just try in the AHL ;) )

#38 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

Why the hate for Sekera? the man gives a good effort, is willing to actually skate the puck up ice with speed (unlike MAG), and will actually throw a bit of a body check now and then (again unlike MAG). Considering that I will accept his occasional bonehead defensive coverage.

#39 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

View Postdrnkirishone, on 14 December 2011 - 10:42 PM, said:

Why the hate for Sekera? the man gives a good effort, is willing to actually skate the puck up ice with speed (unlike MAG), and will actually throw a bit of a body check now and then (again unlike MAG). Considering that I will accept his occasional bonehead defensive coverage.

Meh, there's always a fence with guys like Sekera. You either like him or hate him.

I agree with whomever it was that said his progression is steadily on the incline, and I think he's played fairly well all season. My only wish is that he'd play more physical. We know he can, and maybe he's "coached to pick his spots", but I'd like to see more of those spots.

MAG and Stafford are dead to me, and Roy is dying a slow painful death as well. I just don't know if Darcy has enough magic to pull off a trade for any of these guys...

View Postnbash, on 14 December 2011 - 01:18 PM, said:

I miss those days.

#40 drnkirishone

drnkirishone

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

I do not miss watching the sabres of that era spending 45 outta 60 minutes chasing the other team all over the defensive zone. It was nice knowing that we would fight anyone and throw checks everywhere. But it was boring and frustrating watching a team be called the hardest working team in hockey just cause they spent the whole game chasing the play that was being dictated by the opponent.