Jump to content


All about Shanahan


  • Please log in to reply
393 replies to this topic

#1 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

Staubitz suspended.Pre-season plus 3 games.

#2 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:21 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 26 September 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

Staubitz suspended.Pre-season plus 3 games.
This is getting interesting .....I wonder what Wisnewski will get.

#3 DontPatTheGerbe

DontPatTheGerbe

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

Anybody watching Rangers Flyers game?  This game has been a mess so far.  Hits from behind.... fights off of faceoffs.... nuts.  Shanahan is gonna be busy.

#4 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 26 September 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

This is getting interesting .....I wonder what Wisnewski will get.
http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=590022

Wow.....Shanny Gives Wisnewski 8 regular season games.

That's pretty substantial.

#5 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 26 September 2011 - 07:40 PM, said:

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=590022

Wow.....Shanny Gives Wisnewski 8 regular season games.

That's pretty substantial.

Not a good start for my fantasy team.   :P

#6 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

View Postweave, on 26 September 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

Not a good start for my fantasy team.   :P

You don't have a games suspended category?  That should be right next to PIM .....you'd start the year with a huge lead. :beer:

#7 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

You know, the NHL website is about the slowest frickin website out there.  I've had that video link up for several minutes now and the webpage still hasn't fully loaded.  I'm giving up.  I'll check back tomorrow AM.

#8 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,672 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, MA

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 26 September 2011 - 07:45 PM, said:

You don't have a games suspended category?  That should be right next to PIM .....you'd start the year with a huge lead. :beer:

Yeah, but would it count since it happened in the preseason?

#9 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

View Postweave, on 26 September 2011 - 07:49 PM, said:

You know, the NHL website is about the slowest frickin website out there.  I've had that video link up for several minutes now and the webpage still hasn't fully loaded.  I'm giving up.  I'll check back tomorrow AM.

A nice forearm shiver to Cal Clutterbuck after the horn.

#10 SabresFan526

SabresFan526

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

I really like the videos that Shanny is conducting. He's been doing a great job of reviewing the plays and clearly explaining in a transparent manner the justification behind the punishment. He's doing a fantastic job, and I'm very supportive of what Shanahan's doing.

I do believe Armstrong should have received some supplemental discipline on the hit on Gaustad as that is a clear boarding/hit from behind. However, if you watch the Staubitz video, Shanahan clearly indicates that the facial injury weighed heavily in his decision as to the severity of the suspension, plus the fact Staubitz has been suspended in the past. Since Gaustad did not suffer an injury, I expect that is why there was no suspension for that play. I believe there was a similar hit in that game, perhaps by Kaleta that was boarding in which no penalty was even called and it was by a Sabre player I want to say in the first period. My guess is you can't get everything, but I would have liked to have seen something on Armstrong.

Overall, I'm very pleased with what Shanahan is doing so far, and I think he's been doing a really good job. Also, for those wondering the impact of preseason suspensions, it appears as though players do get paid for the preseason, so if they are suspended for preseason games, they are forfeiting game checks. The same ones they would get for the regular season as well, so these suspensions are putting a dent in their wallet. Apparently, Wisniewski is losing about a half million dollars for his suspension. Pretty steep.

#11 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

View PostSabresFan526, on 26 September 2011 - 08:16 PM, said:

I really like the videos that Shanny is conducting. He's been doing a great job of reviewing the plays and clearly explaining in a transparent manner the justification behind the punishment. He's doing a fantastic job, and I'm very supportive of what Shanahan's doing.

I do believe Armstrong should have received some supplemental discipline on the hit on Gaustad as that is a clear boarding/hit from behind. However, if you watch the Staubitz video, Shanahan clearly indicates that the facial injury weighed heavily in his decision as to the severity of the suspension, plus the fact Staubitz has been suspended in the past. Since Gaustad did not suffer an injury, I expect that is why there was no suspension for that play. I believe there was a similar hit in that game, perhaps by Kaleta that was boarding in which no penalty was even called and it was by a Sabre player I want to say in the first period. My guess is you can't get everything, but I would have liked to have seen something on Armstrong.

Overall, I'm very pleased with what Shanahan is doing so far, and I think he's been doing a really good job. Also, for those wondering the impact of preseason suspensions, it appears as though players do get paid for the preseason, so if they are suspended for preseason games, they are forfeiting game checks. The same ones they would get for the regular season as well, so these suspensions are putting a dent in their wallet. Apparently, Wisniewski is losing about a half million dollars for his suspension. Pretty steep.

Half a million for an exhibition game. He gets a doink :doh:



Best comment I heard about Boyes: "This is going on your permanent record, young man!"

#12 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 26 September 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

A nice forearm shiver to Cal Clutterbuck after the horn.

Finally got the vid to load.  Day-umm, I didn't realize Wis has been suspended 4 times prior.  He never struck me as that kind of player.

#13 BetweenThePipes00

BetweenThePipes00

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nashville, TN

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

I'll tell you what, Shanahan will certainly never make everyone happy with his rulings, especially since they involve big changes ... but I think it is OUTSTANDING (and unbelievable, frankly) that he is doing these videos and telling exactly why he ruled a certain way. No more secrets, no more mystery, no more guessing why one guy got more than another. Again, I am sure there will be times we disagree with him, but it's already a major improvement.

#14 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,442 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

View PostBetweenThePipes00, on 26 September 2011 - 09:59 PM, said:

I'll tell you what, Shanahan will certainly never make everyone happy with his rulings, especially since they involve big changes ... but I think it is OUTSTANDING (and unbelievable, frankly) that he is doing these videos and telling exactly why he ruled a certain way. No more secrets, no more mystery, no more guessing why one guy got more than another. Again, I am sure there will be times we disagree with him, but it's already a major improvement.

Yep.

And the Filly fans have to be hating this right now.

#15 billsrcursed

billsrcursed

    Third Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Orlando, FL by way of Tonawanda

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

View PostEleven, on 26 September 2011 - 10:09 PM, said:

Yep.

And the Filly fans have to be hating this right now.

Even better...

#16 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

View PostBetweenThePipes00, on 26 September 2011 - 09:59 PM, said:

I'll tell you what, Shanahan will certainly never make everyone happy with his rulings, especially since they involve big changes ... but I think it is OUTSTANDING (and unbelievable, frankly) that he is doing these videos and telling exactly why he ruled a certain way. No more secrets, no more mystery, no more guessing why one guy got more than another. Again, I am sure there will be times we disagree with him, but it's already a major improvement.

I think it is a very positive step.

#17 RazielSabre

RazielSabre

    Kain refused the sacrifice

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kent, England

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:01 AM

View PostBetweenThePipes00, on 26 September 2011 - 09:59 PM, said:

I'll tell you what, Shanahan will certainly never make everyone happy with his rulings, especially since they involve big changes ... but I think it is OUTSTANDING (and unbelievable, frankly) that he is doing these videos and telling exactly why he ruled a certain way. No more secrets, no more mystery, no more guessing why one guy got more than another. Again, I am sure there will be times we disagree with him, but it's already a major improvement.

+1. Nice post man.  :clapping:

#18 Icehole

Icehole

    Goon Squad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:02 AM

Anyone have Shanny's email or twitter account and have a copy of the video.  If this happens in the future don't you think fans should be able to send him and or the league offending videos.  Maybe a discussion for another thread, I am all for Democracy.

#19 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

View PostBetweenThePipes00, on 26 September 2011 - 09:59 PM, said:

I'll tell you what, Shanahan will certainly never make everyone happy with his rulings, especially since they involve big changes ... but I think it is OUTSTANDING (and unbelievable, frankly) that he is doing these videos and telling exactly why he ruled a certain way. No more secrets, no more mystery, no more guessing why one guy got more than another. Again, I am sure there will be times we disagree with him, but it's already a major improvement.

Good but I still want to know why a few guys have NOT been suspended.

#20 Sabres Fan In NS

Sabres Fan In NS

    I'd rather be in Sarajevo or, Istanbul (not Constantinople)

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 27 September 2011 - 06:56 AM, said:

Good but I still want to know why a few guys have NOT been suspended.

There will always be some guys to which the rules will not be applied as strictly.

#21 LabattBlue

LabattBlue

    First Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western New York

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:05 AM

Is Shanahan going to be also be doing videos of cases where a suspension WASN'T handed down, explaining why the hit in question was legit?

PS IMO, based on the NHL's track record, this "rule with an iron fist" will fizzle down the stretch run and through the playoffs.

#22 DontPatTheGerbe

DontPatTheGerbe

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:09 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 27 September 2011 - 06:56 AM, said:

Good but I still want to know why a few guys have NOT been suspended.

Agreed.  I'm still finding it odd that the hit on Gaustad is not being reviewed (publicly at least) while the Boyes hit was.  If I were in a position of power in the NHL and I was responsible for finding these "extreme" cases and doling out justice, then I think I would have to start somewhere.  Logically, I would start by reviewing video of all penalties for the previous day's games (ie the hit on Gaustad would be caught in this search imo).  

I wouldn't start by looking at plays that didn't even generate an on-ice penalty (like the Boyes hit) and then, after reviewing hours of non-penalty generating content, watch the penalty reels for the day.

I'm kinda lost on the process.

#23 BetweenThePipes00

BetweenThePipes00

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nashville, TN

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 27 September 2011 - 06:56 AM, said:

Good but I still want to know why a few guys have NOT been suspended.
It'z a good point, although the way the preseqson is going he'd be making videos 20 hours a day. I guess it is not practical to expect this for every possible borderline hit, but at least he is showing he is accountable and willing to explain.

#24 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,672 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, MA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:21 AM

View PostBetweenThePipes00, on 27 September 2011 - 07:12 AM, said:

It'z a good point, although the way the preseqson is going he'd be making videos 20 hours a day. I guess it is not practical to expect this for every possible borderline hit, but at least he is showing he is accountable and willing to explain.

I guess he could put a bunch of them together in one video and give a brief explanation.  That's really the only way to make it efficient.  Then again, at least it looks like he's actually doing some work as opposed to Collin Campbell sitting back playing solitaire.

#25 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

Sestito's going down for this one.



#26 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,672 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, MA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:03 AM

Wow, that was just plain stupid.

#27 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

View Postshrader, on 27 September 2011 - 09:03 AM, said:

Wow, that was just plain stupid.

As stupid as Simmonds calling Avery a ###### ######?

edit: a (f-word with ing at the end) plus a homophobic slur starting with f.

#28 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

    D63

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central NY (Fingerlakes)

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:28 AM

View Postshrader, on 27 September 2011 - 09:03 AM, said:

Wow, that was just plain stupid.

I like how Bickel just threw his gloves and just started POUNDING away at him...awesome IMO

The hit was just ridiculous and uncalled for.

#29 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 27 September 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

Sestito's going down for this one.


Egregious. Flagrant. And he'll be the next guy on Shannytube.

#30 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,672 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, MA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 27 September 2011 - 09:10 AM, said:

As stupid as Simmonds calling Avery a ###### ######?

edit: a (f-word with ing at the end) plus a homophobic slur starting with f.

I'll always rank a physical assault higher than a verbal one, but that's just me.

#31 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

View Postshrader, on 27 September 2011 - 10:04 AM, said:

I'll always rank a physical assault higher than a verbal one, but that's just me.


That homophobic slur is gonna get attention.  Especially when you consider that the slurer was just on national networks because someone threw a banana peel at him.

#32 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

View Postweave, on 27 September 2011 - 10:53 AM, said:

That homophobic slur is gonna get attention.  Especially when you consider that the slurer was just on national networks because someone threw a banana peel at him.

Ironic.  Don't cha think?

#33 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,672 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, MA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

Post-traumatic stress of course :rolleyes:

#34 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 27 September 2011 - 10:57 AM, said:

Ironic.  Don't cha think?
http://abcnews.go.co...angers-14612588

With all the crap that gets said on the ice, the league hardly wants to get into it, as offensive language is commonplace.

The league and players and coaches will plead ignorance on the matter....

Generally it is considered bad form for any player to mention anything said on the ice when off of the ice....although Briere did bring up
Kaleta's comments about his ex-wife in a press gaggle in the playoffs - (it's probably Kaleta's mouth that makes him one of the most hated players more that his hits). And players have in the past brought up things that simply go too far...Avery heckling  players with family members with cancer, for example - (Jason Blake and Marty Broduer?)

Or as Mike Foligno used to say when asked, "That player said something about my mother's combat boots. And then we decided to fight. My mom wears very nice combat boots."  :beer:

#35 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,672 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, MA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 27 September 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

http://abcnews.go.co...angers-14612588

With all the crap that gets said on the ice, the league hardly wants to get into it, as offensive language is commonplace.

The league and players and coaches will plead ignorance on the matter....

Generally it is considered bad form for any player to mention anything said on the ice when off of the ice....although Briere did bring up
Kaleta's comments about his ex-wife in a press gaggle in the playoffs - (it's probably Kaleta's mouth that makes him one of the most hated players more that his hits). And players have in the past brought up things that simply go too far...Avery heckling  players with family members with cancer, for example - (Jason Blake and Marty Broduer?)

Or as Mike Foligno used to say when asked, "That player said something about my mother's combat boots. And then we decided to fight. My mom wears very nice combat boots."  :beer:

It also seems like it's one that they can't exactly prove unless there's clear video.  This isn't like the Wisniewski gesture to Avery last year.  What I'm wondering now is what is it about Avery that brings out these comments?  Ok, maybe we should steer clear of that question.

#36 korab rules

korab rules

    spelunker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Finger Lakes

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:27 AM

View PostX. Benedict, on 27 September 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

http://abcnews.go.co...angers-14612588

With all the crap that gets said on the ice, the league hardly wants to get into it, as offensive language is commonplace.

The league and players and coaches will plead ignorance on the matter....

Generally it is considered bad form for any player to mention anything said on the ice when off of the ice....although Briere did bring up
Kaleta's comments about his ex-wife in a press gaggle in the playoffs - (it's probably Kaleta's mouth that makes him one of the most hated players more that his hits). And players have in the past brought up things that simply go too far...Avery heckling  players with family members with cancer, for example - (Jason Blake and Marty Broduer?)

Or as Mike Foligno used to say when asked, "That player said something about my mother's combat boots. And then we decided to fight. My mom wears very nice combat boots."  :beer:
Sloppy seconds.

As with hits, the league's willingness to get involved is inversely related to the player's marketability and production.

#37 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,672 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, MA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

View Postkorab rules, on 27 September 2011 - 11:27 AM, said:

Sloppy seconds.

Wasn't said on the ice

#38 DontPatTheGerbe

DontPatTheGerbe

    Fourth Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 27 September 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

Sestito's going down for this one.



This is what I was referring to when I asked further up the thread "Is anybody watching the Flyers Rangers game? ..."

If this leads to a suspension and the hit on Gaustad does not then I am utterly confused.  They look identical AND in both situations the victims got right back up... in this case gets right back up and looks to pick a fight.  /mindboggle

#39 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

View PostDontPatTheGerbe, on 27 September 2011 - 12:18 PM, said:

This is what I was referring to when I asked further up the thread "Is anybody watching the Flyers Rangers game? ..."

If this leads to a suspension and the hit on Gaustad does not then I am utterly confused.  They look identical AND in both situations the victims got right back up... in this case gets right back up and looks to pick a fight.  /mindboggle

IMO Sestito's hit was way worse than Goose's.  IIRC Gaustad got hit by a player he knew was there and the player didn't take a run at him.  Sestito came from across the ice on an unsuspecting player.

#40 korab rules

korab rules

    spelunker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Finger Lakes

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 27 September 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

IMO Sestito's hit was way worse than Goose's.  IIRC Gaustad got hit by a player he knew was there and the player didn't take a run at him.  Sestito came from across the ice on an unsuspecting player.
Not sure whether Goose knew he was there or not, but Armstrong was penalized for charging. I'd call that taking a run at him.