Jump to content


All About Natural Disasters

Off Topic

  • Please log in to reply
520 replies to this topic

#1 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

    Dreamer of Dreams

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,347 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In your neighborhood.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

Did you feel the earthquake?

#2 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,442 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Yep.

#3 SDS

SDS

    #7

  • SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

oh man...  my desk was rolling and swaying. I ran so fast out of this building - I jumped down two floors in 4 steps.

#4 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

View PostSDS, on 23 August 2011 - 01:00 PM, said:

oh man...  my desk was rolling and swaying. I ran so fast out of this building - I jumped down two floors in 4 steps.
Epicenter in VA?

Friends feeling it throughout NY state.

#5 SDS

SDS

    #7

  • SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

wow. That was my 1st one I ever felt. I'm still shaking. It was a 5.8 in VA.

#6 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,447 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Felt it here.  Felt kind of like being on a floating dock.  Thought I was having a small dizzy spell for a moment.

#7 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

View PostSDS, on 23 August 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

wow. That was my 1st one I ever felt. I'm still shaking. It was a 5.8 in VA.
Epicenter outside Richmond.

#8 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,672 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, MA

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

No signs of this one out here.  I do remember feeling some aftershocks from a quake that happened someone in Quebec (I think that's where it was) back in maybe the mid 90s.

#9 SDS

SDS

    #7

  • SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

well, I'm at the bottom of DC so I got a good ride.

#10 Eleven

Eleven

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,442 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:08 PM

They just bumped it to a 6.0.

#11 sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

    Dreamer of Dreams

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,347 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In your neighborhood.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

View PostEleven, on 23 August 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

They just bumped it to a 6.0.

Saw that.  Nuts that we could feel it all the way up here in WNY.

Last year's was worse - scary.  But, thanks to that one, I knew exactly what was going on today.

#12 korab rules

korab rules

    spelunker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Finger Lakes

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

All those people who have referred to me as an insensitive ass may be right - I didn't feel a thing.

#13 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,447 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

View Postshrader, on 23 August 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

No signs of this one out here.  I do remember feeling some aftershocks from a quake that happened someone in Quebec (I think that's where it was) back in maybe the mid 90s.

There was a quake last June in Canada near the Ontario/Quebec border that I felt while I was eating lunch on the deck of The Italian Fisherman on Chautauqua Lake.  The deck is raised about 10-12 feet and really swayed.  That was a little spooky.

How many of you folks felt the tremor when the Retsof salt mine in Livingston County collapsed sometime in the mid-late 90's?

#14 Cereal

Cereal

    An All America Breakfast

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

Supposedly we felt it for ~5 seconds here in Blacksburg, VA (3 hours SW of the epicenter), although I didn't notice -- I guess I'm a good vibration absorber.  Others in NJ, MD, DC apparently felt it for ~20 seconds.

#15 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,447 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

View Postsizzlemeister, on 23 August 2011 - 01:12 PM, said:

Saw that.  Nuts that we could feel it all the way up here in WNY.

A geologist on another forum I frequent just explained that the energy from quakes on the east coast travel alot further than the ones on the west coast because the rock formations are older and alot less malleable in the east.  The rock is less likely to deform so the energy travels further.

#16 nfreeman

nfreeman

    All I want is everything you got.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

I felt it here in NYC.  Our building swayed a bit.  This was my first one -- kinda scary.  I was a bit worried that a bomb had gone off somewhere nearby.

#17 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

    D63

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central NY (Fingerlakes)

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

View Postweave, on 23 August 2011 - 01:04 PM, said:

Felt it here.  Felt kind of like being on a floating dock. Thought I was having a small dizzy spell for a moment.

Same here! Felt it for a good 20 seconds here at work.  Had no idea what was going on at first.  pretty cool

#18 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Holly Springs, NC via Hamburg, NY

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

Everyone in my office area was talking about it when I got back to my desk, but I didn't feel a thing while working in the lab.

#19 beerme1

beerme1

    First Line Center

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

Didn't feel it last year and was in Amherst and sitting in the same veal pen and agaain didn't feel it today either. Meh.

#20 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

    Grin and bear it...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South of the city.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

View Postweave, on 23 August 2011 - 01:17 PM, said:

There was a quake last June in Canada near the Ontario/Quebec border that I felt while I was eating lunch on the deck of The Italian Fisherman on Chautauqua Lake.  The deck is raised about 10-12 feet and really swayed.  That was a little spooky.

How many of you folks felt the tremor when the Retsof salt mine in Livingston County collapsed sometime in the mid-late 90's?

I don't think I felt the quake (maintenance is always working on something in our building so we are always feeling various vibrations and thumps).  

Cool!  The Italian Fisherman - I had almost forgotten about that place.  Ate there once a long time ago....

#21 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

    Heart Means Everything.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

I didnt feel anything.

Boooo.

#22 sweeper

sweeper

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

I definitely felt it for a good 20 seconds here in Buffalo. Got my chair springs bouncing a little bit.

#23 shrader

shrader

    National Oranization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,672 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, MA

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

View Postweave, on 23 August 2011 - 01:17 PM, said:

There was a quake last June in Canada near the Ontario/Quebec border that I felt while I was eating lunch on the deck of The Italian Fisherman on Chautauqua Lake.  The deck is raised about 10-12 feet and really swayed.  That was a little spooky.

How many of you folks felt the tremor when the Retsof salt mine in Livingston County collapsed sometime in the mid-late 90's?

Actually, now that I think about it, the one I remember may have been even earlier than the mid 90s.  I distinctly remember my mom yelling at me for shaking the table.  I had to have been under 10 at that point.

View Postweave, on 23 August 2011 - 01:32 PM, said:

A geologist on another forum I frequent just explained that the energy from quakes on the east coast travel alot further than the ones on the west coast because the rock formations are older and alot less malleable in the east.  The rock is less likely to deform so the energy travels further.

Everything in the east is so much closer together.  The next town/city over out here could wind up being 3X as close as it is on the west coast.

#24 weave

weave

    Self-appointed Expert

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,447 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in your head

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:51 PM

The USGS wants to know if you felt the quake.  If you did, Fill out this online form

#25 MattPie

MattPie

    Driver move out.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ardennes Forest

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

View Postbeerme1, on 23 August 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

Didn't feel it last year and was in Amherst and sitting in the same veal pen and agaain didn't feel it today either. Meh.

Please stop sitting in that pen. Thx. :)

#26 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

    Ass. Player Agent

  • SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,430 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fracking Shanahan's house

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

The Washington Monument is tilting!  (e3)

But seriously, I was in Kenmore at the time and the car shook for a few seconds.

#27 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

Yeah we felt it here in Hershey, PA -- the whole building shook for a few seconds, kind of surprised nothing fell off the shelves.  We thought it was construction at first (there's a new building going up behind us), but it was never that strong before.  Pretty wild.

#28 SDS

SDS

    #7

  • SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

View Postbiodork, on 23 August 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

Yeah we felt it here in Hershey, PA -- the whole building shook for a few seconds, kind of surprised nothing fell off the shelves.  We thought it was construction at first (there's a new building going up behind us), but it was never that strong before.  Pretty wild.

you at the park?

#29 gbw

gbw

    Prospect

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

I am 30 miles south of Richmond and we felt it for a good minute, whole house was shaking, was yelling at kids to get out of the house, felt very strange running on a floor that was shaking. All of my neighbors were outside too, we were all amazed, an earthquake in VA! At first I thought it was the jets from the airbase. We are all still a little unnerved and waiting for the aftershocks to start, although I am sure they will be on a much smaller scale, thankfully.

#30 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

    All Star

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

View Postgbw, on 23 August 2011 - 03:17 PM, said:

I am 30 miles south of Richmond and we felt it for a good minute, whole house was shaking, was yelling at kids to get out of the house, felt very strange running on a floor that was shaking. All of my neighbors were outside too, we were all amazed, an earthquake in VA! At first I thought it was the jets from the airbase. We are all still a little unnerved and waiting for the aftershocks to start, although I am sure they will be on a much smaller scale, thankfully.
Be sure to check your gas-lines.

#31 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:21 PM

View PostSDS, on 23 August 2011 - 03:15 PM, said:

you at the park?

No, the Med Center.  How crazy would that have been to be on a rollercoaster during an earthquake, though??  Probably better that than getting blood drawn or surgery.   :sick:

#32 SDS

SDS

    #7

  • SS Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

View Postbiodork, on 23 August 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

No, the Med Center.  How crazy would that have been to be on a rollercoaster during an earthquake, though??  Probably better that than getting blood drawn or surgery.   :sick:

Well, it would have been a beautiful day in the park. Is that where you normally are or just visiting?

#33 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

View PostSDS, on 23 August 2011 - 03:27 PM, said:

Well, it would have been a beautiful day in the park. Is that where you normally are or just visiting?

Normally there - I work in a research lab in the Cancer Institute.  Haven't made it to the park yet this summer, but I'm planning to go in the next few weeks.  You're right; this would have been a perfect day, weather-wise!

#34 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western NY

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

I was in my furnished basement and the cabinets started shaking all around me, then my chair started shaking. I thought it was ghosts and booked it upstairs... but facebook informed me 10 seconds later that it was an earthquake.  B-)

#35 MattPie

MattPie

    Driver move out.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ardennes Forest

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

View Postbiodork, on 23 August 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

Normally there - I work in a research lab in the Cancer Institute.  Haven't made it to the park yet this summer, but I'm planning to go in the next few weeks.  You're right; this would have been a perfect day, weather-wise!

Later in the fall is nice when they do the Haunted Park or whatnot. All the roller coasters are open but it's cheaper than normal and usually cool out.

#36 Andrew Amerk

Andrew Amerk

    Heart Means Everything.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

At least it wasnt the New Madrid that went.

If/when that bad boy snaps, we will ALL feel it.

http://en.wikipedia....id_Seismic_Zone

"In a report filed in November 2008, The U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency warned that a serious earthquake in the New Madrid Seismic Zone could result in "the highest economic losses due to a natural disaster in the United States," further predicting "widespread and catastrophic" damage across Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and particularly Tennessee, where a 7.7 magnitude quake or greater would cause damage to tens of thousands of structures affecting water distribution, transportation systems, and other vital infrastructure. The earthquake is expected to also result in many thousands of fatalities, with more than 4,000 of the fatalities expected in Memphis alone.

According to some scientists, however, that is nothing compared to what an 8.0 earthquake could do to the New Madrid Region. An earthquake of that size on the New Madrid Fault would destroy 60 percent of Memphis, killing tens of thousands and causing over $50 billion dollars in property damage in the city alone.

The potential for the recurrence of large earthquakes and their impact today on densely populated cities in and around the seismic zone has generated much research devoted to understanding in the New Madrid Seismic Zone. By studying evidence of past quakes and closely monitoring ground motion and current earthquake activity, scientists attempt to understand their causes and recurrence intervals.

In October 2009, a team composed of University of Illinois and Virginia Tech researchers headed by Amr S. Elnashai, funded by FEMA, considered a scenario where all three segments of the New Madrid fault ruptured simultaneously. The report found Tennessee, Arkansas, and Missouri most severely impacted, with Illinois and Kentucky also impacted but not as seriously. The cities of Memphis, Tennessee and St. Louis, Missouri would be severely damaged."

#37 inkman

inkman

    Fledgling Member of TSC

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,572 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fairport

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Anyone have the apprx time it happened?  We had a fire alarm go off around 1pm.

#38 thesportsbuff

thesportsbuff

    Second Liner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western NY

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

It was about 1:51 EST i believe.

#39 biodork

biodork

    I love lamp.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:central PA

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

View Postinkman, on 23 August 2011 - 04:45 PM, said:

Anyone have the apprx time it happened?  We had a fire alarm go off around 1pm.


View Postthesportsbuff, on 23 August 2011 - 04:46 PM, said:

It was about 1:51 EST i believe.

Correct - here ya go:  

http://earthquake.us.../se082311a.html

#40 wjag

wjag

    Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,808 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just below the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

View PostSDS, on 23 August 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

wow. That was my 1st one I ever felt. I'm still shaking. It was a 5.8 in VA.

Was in a DC hotel when it hit.  AWESOME....  No longer an earthquake virgin.  :blush:  I'm told you always remember your first time.  Was pretty entertaining all things considered.... :clapping:





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic