#81 TheMadCap

TheMadCap

Top Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

View Postwjag, on 17 October 2011 - 01:21 PM, said:

So this is why I think it will not succeed long term.  There just isn't enough room for creativity in a show like this.  So what inevitably happens is entire shows become about one character.  Some deep dark secret gets exposed and they spend 60 minutes on it.  What is right about the show at the moment is characters come in and characters go out.  The zombies have to win a few or it gets boring real fast.  The attack on the camp where some characters were lost, folks decide to "opt out", the group splinters.  That is what will keep it interesting.  What will kill it, IMHO, is 60 minutes on why some character is afraid of the dark.  And that day is inevitably coming.  It always does...

OMG! If, and I mean IF they go down even HALF the roads in the television program that they do in the monthly series, this show will be the darkest, most violent show ever! Trust me on this, this show is ALL about how a basically good person before the end of the world struggles with how NOT to become an animal in order to survive. Even more interesting is the effect this has on the children. I won't go into spoilers, but the children have a hard time understanding the difference between what is right and wrong in a world where the surviving humans can be just as dangerous as a herd of walkers.

The zombies are pretty much window dressing, this show is all about characters. And while it is very clear that they will not directly translate from comic to TV, the writers have NO trouble offing a main character in a heartbeat! Much like Game of Thrones, any episode can have MULTIPLE people exiting the series...

#82 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,310 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:40 PM

Great show on the history of Zombies on the History Channel. They showed Jeffry Dahmer who tried to create Zombies by drilling holes into his victims heads and pouring in acid. My first thought was what a waste of time. Dahmer should have just used Lindy Ruff's system.

#83 wjag

wjag

Buffalo Sports -- Dysfunction Junction

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,558 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

Last week's episode was boring.  Let's hope they get back on track tonight.

#84 Matty Ice

Matty Ice

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

View Postwjag, on 30 October 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

Last week's episode was boring.  Let's hope they get back on track tonight.

I think they did.  Some parts of the episode dragged, but the pay off at the end was excellent.  Shane has become one of the more complex/interesting characters on the show.  I hope he sticks around.  I know he has already exceeded his shrelf life if you go by the comic book.

#85 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

View PostMatty Ice, on 31 October 2011 - 08:29 AM, said:

I think they did.  Some parts of the episode dragged, but the pay off at the end was excellent.  Shane has become one of the more complex/interesting characters on the show.  I hope he sticks around.  I know he has already exceeded his shrelf life if you go by the comic book.
Awesome episode last night! You all knew the fat guy wasn't coming back with him.

#86 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,558 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

View PostMatty Ice, on 31 October 2011 - 08:29 AM, said:

Last night's show was saved by the ending. Definitely liked the drama of sacrificing that guy to zombi food.  Also like the irony of a guy hanging himself, turning into Zombi food and then turning into a zombi.

But... How many shows are they going to devote to a lost child and a shot boy?

#87 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:17 AM

View Postwjag, on 31 October 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

Last night's show was saved by the ending. Definitely liked the drama of sacrificing that guy to zombi food.  Also like the irony of a guy hanging himself, turning into Zombi food and then turning into a zombi.

Well it looks like at least 1 more based on the previews for next week.

#88 Matty Ice

Matty Ice

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

I personally found that scene to be hilarious.  Is there something wrong with me?  

I concur with your concerns regarding the lost girl, and the shot boy.  However, the most entertaining parts of last nights episode (hanging zombie, and the sacrifice of Otis) were spin offs of those 2 story arches.

#89 Matty Ice

Matty Ice

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

View Postwonderbread, on 31 October 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

Awesome episode last night! You all knew the fat guy wasn't coming back with him.

Poor Otis!

#90 Assquatch

Assquatch

Did someone order a new core?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

Pardon my ignorance here but I didn't fully understand the hanging zombie.

The guy got bit, wrote a poem and hung himself. Assuming he died instantly, when did the walkers chomp his legs? They don't seem to eat dead flesh (they walk right by the dead folks in cars on the road) so it doesn't seem they'd eat him before he "turned", and they don't seem to eat each other so it doesn't seem like they'd eat him after.

In any case, I enjoy the show (other than the fact everything seems sepia-colored for some reason) and am hoping we see a reanimated Otis at some point.

#91 Matty Ice

Matty Ice

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

View PostAssquatch, on 31 October 2011 - 10:54 AM, said:

The guy got bit, wrote a poem and hung himself. Assuming he died instantly, when did the walkers chomp his legs? They don't seem to eat dead flesh (they walk right by the dead folks in cars on the road) so it doesn't seem they'd eat him before he "turned", and they don't seem to eat each other so it doesn't seem like they'd eat him after.

In any case, I enjoy the show (other than the fact everything seems sepia-colored for some reason) and am hoping we see a reanimated Otis at some point.

If we do, he will be a lot thinner.  Those Zombies were tearing him apart.

#92 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

View PostAssquatch, on 31 October 2011 - 10:54 AM, said:

He got bit after he tried, unsuccessfully, to hang himself.  Walkers came by, ate his legs, he becomes a stranded walker.

#93 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 31 October 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

He got bit after he tried, unsuccessfully, to hang himself.  Walkers came by, ate his legs, he becomes a stranded walker.

not much of a "walker" at that point, is he?  ;)

#94 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 31 October 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

not much of a "walker" at that point, is he?  ;)

Can you hear him after he jumps out of the tree only to survive, hanging there....   What the hell did I just do?!

I can picture Red from "That 70's Show"  saying "Dumbass"!

#95 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 31 October 2011 - 12:36 PM, said:

Can you hear him after he jumps out of the tree only to survive, hanging there....   What the hell did I just do?!

yupp!  :lol:

I actually found that scene pretty funny, with what's her name trying to keep it together as he's just hanging there...

best part was "what a waste of an arrow"

#96 Scotty

Scotty

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 31 October 2011 - 12:36 PM, said:

I can picture Red from "That 70's Show"  saying "Dumbass"!

Talk about a "Man my life sucks!" moment.  

The Zombie Feeding (i.e. Otis) saved that episode.  

I told the misses I think the crew has to worry more about Shane than the walkers.

The one thing drives me nuts as they were gawking at the hung zombie (insert joke here)in my mind I am screaming this is when a walker will jump out and bite one of them, I do this every time the crew stops and chat.  

I think if I were them I would have already have a mental breakdown and to be responsible for kids in that world as a father I would be freaking out every second.

#97 DontPatTheGerbe

DontPatTheGerbe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

I think the depiction of the kids in the TV series is disappointingly unrealistic compared to the depiction of kids in the comic.  In a zombie apocalypse, I believe kids would need to grow up a lot quicker (much like they did in the past).  Anybody trying to shield his or her child from atrocities and "not for kid's eyes" as they are doing with Carl would end up as zombie bait in my opinion.  I really hope the TV group finds a way to portray this better.

#98 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

View PostDontPatTheGerbe, on 31 October 2011 - 03:14 PM, said:

I think the depiction of the kids in the TV series is disappointingly unrealistic compared to the depiction of kids in the comic.  In a zombie apocalypse, I believe kids would need to grow up a lot quicker (much like they did in the past).  Anybody trying to shield his or her child from atrocities and "not for kid's eyes" as they are doing with Carl would end up as zombie bate in my opinion.  I really hope the TV group finds a way to portray this better.

Bait.

Zombie bate would imply some sort of zombie masterbation.

#99 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,558 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

View Postwonderbread, on 31 October 2011 - 03:27 PM, said:

Bait.

Zombie bate would imply some sort of zombie masterbation.

LOL...  How did you get there?

#100 Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 31 October 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

When did he write  the poem about getting bit?  After failing to hang himself?

#101 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

View PostCaptain Caveman, on 31 October 2011 - 06:51 PM, said:

When did he write  the poem about getting bit?  After failing to hang himself?

He gets bit first.  Writes the poem.  Tries to hang himself before he becomes a walker not realizing he needs to shoot himself.  Finds himself still alive in a tree, gets eaten.

#102 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,558 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 01 November 2011 - 07:44 AM, said:

He gets bit first.  Writes the poem.  Tries to hang himself before he becomes a walker not realizing he needs to shoot himself.  Finds himself still alive in a tree, gets eaten.

You forgot QED.

#103 DontPatTheGerbe

DontPatTheGerbe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

Walker in a well - excellent.

Sending a guy into a well to tie a rope around a walker in a well - simply ridiculous.

Searching for a little girl lost in the woods during a zombie apocalypse for 4 (I think?) episodes - Zzzzzzzz.

Pregnancy test positive cliff hanger - Zzzzzzzzz.

#104 Assquatch

Assquatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:01 AM

View PostDontPatTheGerbe, on 06 November 2011 - 11:10 PM, said:

Sending a guy into a well to tie a rope around a walker in a well - simply ridiculous.

Searching for a little girl lost in the woods during a zombie apocalypse for 4 (I think?) episodes - Zzzzzzzz.

How far out were they trying to pull the walker? When it got stuck, it was out far enough to smash its head without it bleeding into the water supply. Instead they pulled and pulled until it was drawn and halved.

#105 DontPatTheGerbe

DontPatTheGerbe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:19 AM

View PostAssquatch, on 07 November 2011 - 07:01 AM, said:

How far out were they trying to pull the walker? When it got stuck, it was out far enough to smash its head without it bleeding into the water supply. Instead they pulled and pulled until it was drawn and halved.

Well, that whole scene wreaked of "We need to put a zombie in this episode SOMEHOW ... Oooo here we go."

#106 Assquatch

Assquatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

View PostDontPatTheGerbe, on 07 November 2011 - 08:19 AM, said:

Well, that whole scene wreaked of "We need to put a zombie in this episode SOMEHOW ... Oooo here we go."

Agreed.

In other news, I have been really enjoying zombie shows lately. I caught a few minutes of a show on MTV I had never heard of before called "Death Valley". It looked like Reno 911 with zombies. Completely ridiculous but if you're watching a Reno 911 type show that's what you're after. I saw online the show also has other versions of undead creatures (vampires etc) that the local police are battling. The few minutes I saw had zombies captured and chained inside a cage. They were unchaining the zombies 2 at a time to fight and people were betting on them.

#107 ThePebble19

ThePebble19

Hockey is back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

View PostAssquatch, on 07 November 2011 - 08:33 AM, said:

Agreed.

In other news, I have been really enjoying zombie shows lately. I caught a few minutes of a show on MTV I had never heard of before called "Death Valley". It looked like Reno 911 with zombies. Completely ridiculous but if you're watching a Reno 911 type show that's what you're after. I saw online the show also has other versions of undead creatures (vampires etc) that the local police are battling. The few minutes I saw had zombies captured and chained inside a cage. They were unchaining the zombies 2 at a time to fight and people were betting on them.

Yeah, it is actually a pretty comical show.  General concept is that vampires, wearwolves and zombies took over the valley...We DVR it and watch it when there is nothing else on.

Good twist in that show with the zombies...when they are new zombies, they have the ultra fast, Dawn of the Dead speed.  The longer they are zombies, the slower they get, until they are basically walkers.

#108 SabresGameNight

SabresGameNight

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

View PostDontPatTheGerbe, on 06 November 2011 - 11:10 PM, said:

The walker in the well was a nice touch.  They had the rope idea right but someone forgot to bring the 2x4 to leverage the body out!  The guts spilling into the well was pretty nasty.  Don't drink that bad ju-ju.  

The missing girl is a tired plot line now.  You could run that 1.. maybe 2 episodes.  At this point she better be dead.

The pregnancy is very unexpected but an interesting twist.  You guys know that baby daddy is Shane and not her husband Rick.  They can spend a few episodes on that secret.

#109 Assquatch

Assquatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

View PostSabresGameNight, on 07 November 2011 - 09:25 AM, said:

The walker in the well was a nice touch.  They had the rope idea right but someone forgot to bring the 2x4 to leverage the body out!  The guts spilling into the well was pretty nasty.  Don't drink that bad ju-ju.  

The missing girl is a tired plot line now.  You could run that 1.. maybe 2 episodes.  At this point she better be dead.

The pregnancy is very unexpected but an interesting twist.  You guys know that baby daddy is Shane and not her husband Rick.  They can spend a few episodes on that secret.

A bunch of people all pulling horizontally to pull a body vertically out of the well without thinking about what would happen when it got halfway reminded me of the scene in The Wire when half the folks were on each side of a desk wedged in a doorway trying to move it and it turned out both groups were trying to push it into the room the other group was in.

It's amazing what a few seconds of thought and planning before action can do.

#110 dEnnis the Menace

dEnnis the Menace

D63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Anyone see that Merl is coming back in the scenes from next week?!  I will agree that this weeks episode was a little on the boring side.  I still absolutely love the series though!

#111 ThePebble19

ThePebble19

Hockey is back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

View PostdEnnis the Menace, on 07 November 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

Anyone see that Merl is coming back in the scenes from next week?!  I will agree that this weeks episode was a little on the boring side.  I still absolutely love the series though!

I am glad I am not the only one who thought I saw that...hopefully it starts to pick up a bit next week.  They need to find this girl, dead or alive, and move on with another story.

#112 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

Thank God for DVR.  Watched the whole episode in under 10 minutes it was so boring.

#113 DontPatTheGerbe

DontPatTheGerbe

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

View Postspndnchz, on 07 November 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

Thank God for DVR.  Watched the whole episode in under 10 minutes it was so boring.

Under 10 minutes ?!?!  But awkward pharmacy sex happened!

#114 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

View PostDontPatTheGerbe, on 07 November 2011 - 11:55 AM, said:

Under 10 minutes ?!?!  But awkward pharmacy sex happened!

meh.

#115 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 07 November 2011 - 11:57 AM, said:

meh.
Didn't see it but i am going to venture it was Glenn and the chick from the farm.

#116 pegs4mayor

pegs4mayor

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 07 November 2011 - 11:57 AM, said:

meh.
She's seen better :P

#117 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

Loved the farmers daughter bit. Afterall these are supposed to be real men and unless they've lost their testosterone due to the zombie apocalypse they should be practically cutting each others throats in a lawless world to get at her. The series has been imo a little disappointing after last seasons. Its kind of like the expectations I had for the Sabres coming into the season.

#118 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,558 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:40 PM

Okay so last night's show...  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The whole pharmacy scene...  Are we really expected to believe an adult male did not know what a pregnacy test was?  And then is lucky enough to score in a pharmacy?

The whole idea that herds of zombies walk down the road, but a farm house exists with these folks and they don't have the need to protect themselves?

How do you not know a zombie is in your well?

and finally...  another 60 minutes and another show without finding one scared little girl in the woods.

This series is going exactly the way I feared.  It is drowning in character development.  What made season 1 so compelling was the non-stop action of evading zombies, the life-death decisions that had to be made, and the cruelty of losing.

Please get back to that...

#119 Assquatch

Assquatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:24 AM

They had the actor and actress that play Glen and the farmer's daughter on Talking Dead. They asked him what it was like dangling in a well for so long and I was hoping beyond hope that he'd respond by asking if they were talking about the pharmacy scene.

#120 wjag

wjag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,558 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

Much better show tonight...