860 replies to this topic

#1 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

#39 - Greatest of All-Time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,282 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

A reminder to all horror film fans that 'The Walking Dead' starts on AMC this Sunday. The graphic novel by Robert Kirkman is being brought to TV as a series by the director of the 'Shawshank Redemption'. Go to AMCTV.COM to view the trailer. If you like the old school zombie movies you should check this out.

I just started reading the graphic novel (ok it's a comic) a couple of weeks ago. I have read through volume eight and can't wait to pick up the next four. If AMC can replicate the feel of the comic this is going to be a huge hit.

#2 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,282 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

The trailer : http://www.amctv.com...id=593569611001

#3 notwoz

notwoz

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

If the show is half as scary as the performance of this year's edition of the Sabres -- it's going to be a monster of a show.

By the way, my wife was a zombie extra in George Romero's Land of the Dead a few years back. She even got a credit.

#4 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,282 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

View Postnotwoz, on 27 October 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:

If the show is half as scary as the performance of this year's edition of the Sabres -- it's going to be a monster of a show.

By the way, my wife was a zombie extra in George Romero's Land of the Dead a few years back. She even got a credit.
That is fu*king awesome. Did she get to leave the set in makeup? That would be awesome. Going to dinner with a zombie. Sitting and ordering a rare steak, a really rare steak.

Do you have any pics to posts?

#5 notwoz

notwoz

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

View PostM.D. De Luca, on 27 October 2010 - 07:36 PM, said:

That is fu*king awesome. Did she get to leave the set in makeup? That would be awesome. Going to dinner with a zombie. Sitting and ordering a rare steak, a really rare steak.

Do you have any pics to posts?
They filmed in Toronto, and I stayed home in Virginia.
Here's a photo of her that I lifted off the internet. That's her on the right.

Attached Files

#6 wonderbread

wonderbread

Caveat emptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

View Postnotwoz, on 28 October 2010 - 10:49 AM, said:

They filmed in Toronto, and I stayed home in Virginia.
Here's a photo of her that I lifted off the internet. That's her on the right.
Sweet! That's pretty cool!

#7 cdexchange

cdexchange

www.DiscsForDogs.org

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

View PostM.D. De Luca, on 27 October 2010 - 07:36 PM, said:

I was a zombie extra in a low budget film once, and I drove home in full makeup.  You should have seen the looks I got from other drivers, they must have thought I had just been in a horrible accident, lol.  

Thanks for the heads-up about this show, it sounds cool.  Frank Darabont is an awesome director.  Too bad AMC is in SD and not HD. <_<

#8 Kevbeau

Kevbeau

Spooooooonnnnn!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

I saw them filming this not far from our house (SW of Atlanta). I thought I had come across a horrific car accident until I saw the camera booms.

#9 Sabre Dance

Sabre Dance

Brighter days ahead...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

View Postcdexchange, on 28 October 2010 - 12:33 PM, said:

I was a zombie extra in a low budget film once, and I drove home in full makeup.  You should have seen the looks I got from other drivers, they must have thought I had just been in a horrible accident, lol.  

Thanks for the heads-up about this show, it sounds cool.  Frank Darabont is an awesome director.  Too bad AMC is in SD and not HD. <_<

I was out one Friday night a few years back at my favorite watering hole.  It was a day or so before Halloween, so there were occasional customers coming in the door with costumes.  After a while, I looked over at a nearby table and there were three guys sitting there; two were in street clothes, but the other guy had this really hideous-looking mask on.  I continued to check out the guys mask, and then saw that he was drinking his beer without taking the mask off.  Wow! I though, "This guy's got some really excellent zombie makeup on!"  I walked past the table on the way to the john and then realized that the guys wasn't wearing makeup - he must have been in a bad fire, as one of his hands was scarred as well.  I felt so bad thinking the guy was made up for Halloween, I bought a pitcher of beer for the table. Then I skulked out of the bar feeling hugely guilty......:(

#10 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,971 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:18 PM

Man I hate AMC. Everything they do is gold.

#11 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:11 AM

I watched the first episode tonight and I have to say it was entertaining which is saying something cause I normally don't make time for this type of show.

#12 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,501 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

Thanks De Luca... now I'm hooked on it. Who the hell is on the radio?

#13 frisky

frisky

Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

Anybody entering the contest to be an extra?

#14 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,282 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 01 November 2010 - 08:25 AM, said:

That part is not in the books.  

The crawling woman zombie looked amazing and what a way to start a series off with that first zombie kill! That got peoples attention I bet.

#15 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,971 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

View PostM.D. De Luca, on 01 November 2010 - 05:41 PM, said:

That part is not in the books.  

The crawling woman zombie looked amazing and what a way to start a series off with that first zombie kill! That got peoples attention I bet.

The best part of all this is that most zombie movies only have two hours to set everything up and draw a conclusion. This show has the potential to go for several seasons! Hours and hours worth of post-apocalyptic zombie madness. The sky is truly the limit for this. I need to set my DVR.

#16 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,501 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

So this isn't a miniseries but potentially a couple year deal?

#17 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,282 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 01 November 2010 - 06:18 PM, said:

So this isn't a miniseries but potentially a couple year deal?
This is a weekly series. There are over 70 issues of the comic out and they barely touched the first couple in the first episode. This has the potential for a multi-year run. There is nothing like it on American television.

#18 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,501 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

The first episode had just enough of those yell-at-the-TV moments. Why did the cop take such an apparently long walk to shoot the legless zombie (not a euphemism for ######), when he knew gunshots attract other walkers? Why didn't the zombies just rush the house where the black father was shooting?

I have a feeling I'll learn the characters' names.

#19 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,282 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:23 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 01 November 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:

The first episode had just enough of those yell-at-the-TV moments. Why did the cop take such an apparently long walk to shoot the legless zombie (not a euphemism for ######), when he knew gunshots attract other walkers? Why didn't the zombies just rush the house where the black father was shooting?

I have a feeling I'll learn the characters' names.
He shot the legless zombie because he felt bad for her. The zombies didn't rush the house because they are not the Usain Bolt zombies from 28 Days Later or Zombie Land. In the books they talk a lot about the zombie patterns of movement. I hope they hit that point in the series.

As far as the characters? If they stay close to the comic all I can say is don't get attached to anyone.

#20 Eleven

Eleven

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,201 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 01 November 2010 - 08:25 AM, said:

Jack Benny and Duffy's Tavern, just like the last time you listened.

#21 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,282 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

The first episode. http://www.amctv.com...id=659216515001

#22 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,501 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

So I was a little late to last night's episode. Sat down with a big plate of ghoulash...

Seriously... yeah, I didn't like the second episode as much as the first. I'm still going to tune in next week, but I haven't gotten a handle on this series yet. The zombie mutilation scene was just hilarious, which is fine. Is this going to be a parody of zombie movies? The horse buffet scene at the end of the first episode was just disgusting and creepy and I'm sure Ghost hated it.

Then, when they climbed into the construction site, how incredible that the younger guy knows exactly where to look for the keys, reaches in among many keys and instantly finds the key to the truck that's sitting there, then inexplicably tosses the keys to Rick, who makes a perfect catch. I mean, no pressure, with the walkers about to maul you. It was a MacGruber moment.

But I guess the more they get me to yell at the TV, the more likely I am to tune in next week.

#23 Spndnchz

Spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,825 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

So next week we'll see Rick's wife say "But honey!  I thought u were dead!" ?

#24 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,501 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

View Postspndnchz, on 08 November 2010 - 02:37 PM, said:

So next week we'll see Rick's wife say "But honey!  I thought u were dead!" ?

:rolleyes:

#25 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,282 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 08 November 2010 - 02:27 PM, said:

So I was a little late to last night's episode. Sat down with a big plate of ghoulash...

Seriously... yeah, I didn't like the second episode as much as the first. I'm still going to tune in next week, but I haven't gotten a handle on this series yet. The zombie mutilation scene was just hilarious, which is fine. Is this going to be a parody of zombie movies? The horse buffet scene at the end of the first episode was just disgusting and creepy and I'm sure Ghost hated it.

Then, when they climbed into the construction site, how incredible that the younger guy knows exactly where to look for the keys, reaches in among many keys and instantly finds the key to the truck that's sitting there, then inexplicably tosses the keys to Rick, who makes a perfect catch. I mean, no pressure, with the walkers about to maul you. It was a MacGruber moment.

But I guess the more they get me to yell at the TV, the more likely I am to tune in next week.
Zombies are walking the earth and that is the issue you have? :lol: How about a guy being left alone in a hospital for god knows how many days or weeks with no food or water and can still walk home moments after he wakes up.

Right now they are about introducing characters. They have yet to get into the meat of the story.

The ratings were really good. 5.3 million viewers for the first episode. They had 4.7 million last Sunday. Good enough for AMC to green-light a 13 episode 2nd season. I hope every sticks around to let the story develop and keep the show going.

#26 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,501 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:59 PM

TWD creeping into popular culture a bit:

Attached File  bilde.jpg   42.71K   39 downloads

#27 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,501 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

High ratings for TWD finale:

http://marquee.blogs...records/?hpt=T2

#28 BuffaTB

BuffaTB

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

I'm STILL very interested as to how they will re-introduce Merle. Pretty good show IMO.

#29 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

This pleases Nikita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,971 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

View PostBuffaTB, on 07 December 2010 - 01:06 PM, said:

I'm STILL very interested as to how they will re-introduce Merle. Pretty good show IMO.

Same here. Dude can't be dead. So where is he?

I'm curious as to when they realize they need to start collecting gas Mad Max style. And if it were me, I'd be heading towards the great lakes or somewhere with fresh water and good hunting. Heard all the first season writers got fired though so we'll see how things turn out for next season.

#30 bunomatic

bunomatic

bunomatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

Merle will come back as some quasie Zombie that has evolved to Zombie status but with a functioning brain and he will organize the Zombies into his personal army...oh, and he'll have a hook.

#31 cdexchange

cdexchange

www.DiscsForDogs.org

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

View Postd4rksabre, on 07 December 2010 - 04:28 PM, said:

Heard all the first season writers got fired though

Really?  Why?

#32 nobody

nobody

Title? Someday...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

View Postcdexchange, on 08 December 2010 - 12:03 PM, said:

Really?  Why?

To save money.

#33 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

View PostDeLuca67, on 09 November 2010 - 07:12 PM, said:

Zombies are walking the earth and that is the issue you have? :lol: How about a guy being left alone in a hospital for god knows how many days or weeks with no food or water and can still walk home moments after he wakes up.

Right now they are about introducing characters. They have yet to get into the meat of the story.

The ratings were really good. 5.3 million viewers for the first episode. They had 4.7 million last Sunday. Good enough for AMC to green-light a 13 episode 2nd season. I hope every sticks around to let the story develop and keep the show going.

because of your thread I've been watching.

Why is it the Zombies get to throw as many people over the boards as they like? If you ask me it doesn't look like anybody is calling the game at all.

I enjoyed it, but I had a hard time with Noah Emmerich being cast as the last living Government Employee/Scientist. BTW...Jeff Demunn who plays the old guy and is a great character is from Buffalo.

#34 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,501 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

View PostX. Benedict, on 08 December 2010 - 06:37 PM, said:

because of your thread I've been watching.

Why is it the Zombies get to throw as many people over the boards as they like? If you ask me it doesn't look like anybody is calling the game at all.

I enjoyed it, but I had a hard time with Noah Emmerich being cast as the last living Government Employee/Scientist. BTW...Jeff Demunn who plays the old guy and is a great character is from Buffalo.

Sounds a little creepy, but I can't see the old guy without seeing Jim Kelley.

I believe this actor also was in a Stephen King miniseries -- maybe "The Stand."

#35 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

View PostPASabreFan, on 08 December 2010 - 06:50 PM, said:

Sounds a little creepy, but I can't see the old guy without seeing Jim Kelley.

I believe this actor also was in a Stephen King miniseries -- maybe "The Stand."

I don't know about The Stand, but I'm pretty sure he was in the Green Mile.

#36 DeLuca1967

DeLuca1967

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,282 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

View Postnobody, on 08 December 2010 - 01:13 PM, said:

To save money.
That shouldn't be a problem going forward. They had 6 million viewers on the last episode and and crushed the important 19-49 demographic. Something like $3.5 million I believe.

#37 Claude_Verret

Claude_Verret

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:39 AM

If you don't like spoilers, then don't read the Walking Dead thread over on the stadium wall.  There is a guy there that has read the books that the series is based on and he gave many potential future plot twists away.

#38 X. Benedict

X. Benedict

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,331 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

View PostClaude_Verret, on 09 December 2010 - 07:39 AM, said:

If you don't like spoilers, then don't read the Walking Dead thread over on the stadium wall.  There is a guy there that has read the books that the series is based on and he gave many potential future plot twists away.
Thanks for that.

#39 cdexchange

cdexchange

www.DiscsForDogs.org

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

View Postnobody, on 08 December 2010 - 01:13 PM, said:

To save money.

That's weird.  Huge hit, great ratings, money rolling in, so fire all the writers? :blink:

Here's something that always bugs me about all these zombie-apocalypse movies/shows: there is no freaking way that a bunch of zombies, no matter how many there are, could overrun and defeat our military on any large scale.  I can't think of any possible scenario where that makes sense.  It doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to set up secure zones and guard the perimiters 24/7 with snipers.  They could easily transport personel/supplies/ammo in and out via armored trucks or even tanks.  Hell, just outfit trucks with battering rams and plow right through the sumbitches.  I know it's a plot device but it's totally unrealistic to think that zombies could ever wipe out 99.9999% of the population, there's just no way.

#40 PASabreFan

PASabreFan

Resistance is futile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,501 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

View Postcdexchange, on 09 December 2010 - 12:57 PM, said:

That's weird.  Huge hit, great ratings, money rolling in, so fire all the writers? :blink:

Here's something that always bugs me about all these zombie-apocalypse movies/shows: there is no freaking way that a bunch of zombies, no matter how many there are, could overrun and defeat our military on any large scale.  I can't think of any possible scenario where that makes sense.  It doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to set up secure zones and guard the perimiters 24/7 with snipers.  They could easily transport personel/supplies/ammo in and out via armored trucks or even tanks.  Hell, just outfit trucks with battering rams and plow right through the sumbitches.  I know it's a plot device but it's totally unrealistic to think that zombies could ever wipe out 99.9999% of the population, there's just no way.

But notice how few survivors there are. Apparently the vast majority of the population, including the military, are dead or undead. What I find strange is that not everyone who dies from the disease comes back to "life."