http://forums.caroli...s.com/index.php

#3 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,559 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

An early--and very, very cold--Saturday afternoon. Shall I (1) run errands, (2) go into the office and tie up some loose ends, or (3) waste some time by posting another review of the opponent's message boards?

The warmest answer is (3).

In addition to the official site and the letsgocanes site, I looked at the HFBoards forum for "Caniacs," as these people apparently like to be called, and TheScoreboards site. Posters on all four sites refer to our favorite team as "the Slugs," which makes me wonder what these people will call the Sabres once Larry Quinn regains his senses and goes back to the classic logo full-time--which you're going to do, right, Larry? And posters on all four sites seem to think the Canes have no chance tonight, which is surprising. The Hurricanes are in a slump, yes, but it's not as if the Sabres are world-beaters right now.

The folks at letsgocanes just plain hate us. I don't mean that they hate the Sabres--they do, but I'm talking about us Sabres fans. There's a lot of hurt and shame in their posts, probably because Sabres fans completely took over their building during the 2006 playoffs, and well, some of those fans behaved poorly. There's a lot of passion on that board, similar to the passion on this board, but there's not a lot of great hockey talk, unlike this board. (I get the feeling that there are a lot of newer hockey fans and people who never played on that board.) There's also a fair amount of criticism of the Buffalo area, as if Greensboro and Raleigh were real prizes. (They aren't, unless you really like chain restaurants. In that case, the whole area is an Elysian Fields of TGIFridays, Waffle House, Chik-Fil-A, and the like. And don't forget the strippers in nearby Durham! Free rape charges with every third visit....) One of the more prolific posters on the site, SouthernHockeyChick, misspells "hockey" by putting a "C" on the end of that word. This seems to be the only independent site for Hurricanes fans, but it lacks even a basic team news section (much less a section for news about current opponents, which is one of my favorite SabreSpace features).

The forum on the Hurricanes' official site is refreshingly somewhat more independent than what you see on most teams' websites. The moderator who started today's game day thread uses the name "Whaler," which is somewhat interesting and maybe even ironic. Gameday threads are nicely separated from the rest of the board, and it seems that the folks there have a little bit more of an idea about the game of hockey than do the people who post at letsgocanes.

The HFBoards site takes a dim view of posts from other teams' fans ("[t]his is our home, our safe haven to say what we want, not a place for visitors to come and troll"), so please resist the urge embark on a "re-education" campaign on that site. The posters come from all over (as they do on the letsgocanes site), but the global moderator is from Rochester, which is downright disgusting. There's a decent amount of news, and an active community that posts often on a wide variety of topics. Still, why read when you can't respond?

Like HFBoards, TheScoreboards has a fair amount of activity and a diverse group of posts, but the active community seems a little smaller. On the other hand, there's no ban on disturbing the "nest of trust" or whatever, so you can feel free to go in and engage in discussion even if you're not a Canes fan. (I'm not encouraging trolling. I hate trolling. Well, except for reading the responses to trolls on the PhylersFans site, I hate trolling.) There seems to be a separate thread for the officials of each game, in addition to the game day threads, which is a little weird and/or obsessive.

To sum up: letsgocanes is a great place to go if you really want to read bad things about yourself, the Sabres, and Buffalo, or if you just want to troll, or if you want to see what happens when TNA Wrestling fans discover hockey. HFBoards has some good information, but people there are scared that their world-view might be disturbed by fans of other teams . The other two boards are the best options if you want to intelligently participate in discussion with Canes fans, but since I tend to avoid official sites, I'd head over to TheScoreboards.

#4 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,559 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

Found a new Carolina message board here.

#5 iamsuperdave

iamsuperdave

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Damn how did I miss this? For 2 groups of fans that couldnt be anymore different, you sure do have this pegged right.

letsgocanes used to be ok but anyone that had any hockey knowledge has defected to TSB's and twitter. Only a circus of egos remainswith their only purpose to complain about everything and everyone from opposing fans all the way to the hotdog vendors.
Scoreboards looks promising but doesnt have much traffic but with all the defections from lgc's, it should get better.
Official boards usually suck and arent kept current but this ones not too bad. Neg is that official boards have rules made by teams so you cant get away with much.
Dont try and disrupt the world view on HF canes board, the kiddies might cry.

#6 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports an I hate the canes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

Damn how did I miss this? For 2 groups of fans that couldnt be anymore different, you sure do have this pegged right.

letsgocanes used to be ok but anyone that had any hockey knowledge has defected to TSB's and twitter. Only a circus of egos remainswith their only purpose to complain about everything and everyone from opposing fans all the way to the hotdog vendors.
Scoreboards looks promising but doesnt have much traffic but with all the defections from lgc's, it should get better.
Official boards usually suck and arent kept current but this ones not too bad. Neg is that official boards have rules made by teams so you cant get away with much.
Dont try and disrupt the world view on HF canes board, the kiddies might cry.

LGC seems mostly inhabited by drunken southern chicks and the game discussion threads go a full one page deep :-). ISD looks like u still hang out there or is that the other SD?

#7 iamsuperdave

iamsuperdave

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

LGC seems mostly inhabited by drunken southern chicks and the game discussion threads go a full one page deep :-). ISD looks like u still hang out there or is that the other SD?

Dunno about the drunken but southern chicks with some entertaining cat fighting once in awhile is about right.

I'll let you decide if its me or my alter ego.

#8 Oliver_Cromwell

Oliver_Cromwell

Second Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

Found a new Carolina message board here.

Doggone it, Eleven! That just about had me die of laughter.