14338 replies to this topic

#14281 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

We learned yesterday that Mom's cancer is spreading aggressively. They estimate that she has 2-3 months. I am absolutely heartbroken. I have never felt this level of grief in my 44 years.

:cry:

I'm sorry to have spoiled the thread this week.

On the brighter side of this, she seems completely at peace with all of this. She misses Fred terribly and her unwavering faith has her in her way home to him. I appreciate the kind words. I am humbled how a 75 lbs woman can be so big and strong. She has always been a giant though.

She sounds like an amazing lady.

#14282 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

She sounds like an amazing lady.

I'm recalling an epic showdown over lima beans. It was well into darkness and everyone else had desert and were ready and off to bed while Elaine and I faced off at the dinner table. Hours. I finally caved and ate them. They were good. Elaine was right.

#14283 ParkMeadow

ParkMeadow

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

One of the true indicators of becoming a grown up is the realization and acknowledgment that mom is (almost) always right!

There is no force more powerful than a mother's love. Sounds like you have been blessed by yours.
Godspeed, and cherish every moment you have with her.

#14284 dudacek

dudacek

...browsing the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,727 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

We learned yesterday that Mom's cancer is spreading aggressively. They estimate that she has 2-3 months. I am absolutely heartbroken. I have never felt this level of grief in my 44 years.

My mom quietly lived with hers for nearly eight years. She went from being herself to being bedridden in just a few days. When we checked her into the hospital, the doctor told us he was confident she could be treated and be with us for a lot more time. She never checked out and was gone a few weeks later, two day after Christmas.

She never complained, never blamed, never did anything but live what life handed her with optimism, pragmatism and calm.
When life hands me something, it is her voice I hear.

I too, was 44. I feel you, man.

#14285 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:58 AM

I hope the colonoscopy is not based on suspected problems and just proactive. I need to go get another one soon as I have a family history of colon cancer.

It was based on some suspected problem - I had severe abdominal pains (intermittent, not constant) about two months ago, which led the doctors to believe I had appendicitis. A CT scan revealed it was inflammation of my colon. After IV antibiotics and a 2-day hospital stay, I was all better, but the GI doc wanted me to get a colonoscopy just to be sure. Everything showed up normal, so it was likely some infection. On the bright side, the GI doctor was quite the looker.  :wub:

I was going to complain about all the rain around here, but then I looked at the 10-day forecast. 

#14286 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:06 AM

Just saw this today. Very saddened to read the news.

Prayers go out to your family and her.

#14287 WildCard

WildCard

Gunner's Mate First Class: Philip A$$hole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

Something exciting needs to happen with the Sabres, cause this has been boring and unbearable 

#14288 nfreeman

nfreeman

All I want is everything you got.

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

Something exciting needs to happen with the Sabres, cause this has been boring and unbearable 

Well, we all knew that nothing was going to happen until after the finals, innit?

Patience, grasshopper.  The fireworks will begin in another 7-10 days.

#14289 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

Poker players. No one likes you and all your stories suck! Nice sunglasses at 4am. Douche bag.

#14290 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

Pretty minor but still frustrating.

So my PK Subban painting went effing viral on twitter after PK RT'd it. Over 2k likes, hundreds of RTs. It's still going.

I had a ton of people ask for prints. I spent a good deal of money I don't really have to get prints working and a shop (etsy) together. Not a sale. Found out most wanted huge sizes and canvas. We can accommodate up to 2 feet on my friend's massive pro Epson printer. But I opened a Society6 to do canvas. 

Grand total of 2 PK prints sold now, 3 others to friends. I need to sell about 13 to break even. I'm glad about the sales I've made, but definitely was led to expect more. 

Bleh. 

Had a few people tell me they'll buy if the Predators win the Cup. 

SO I guess I'm hardcore rooting for Nashville now (I was anyways, eff the Pens). .. . . .. And I will be ready next time with prints if something explodes. 

The internet is fickle, and running a tiny business is a butt. 

#14291 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

Pretty minor but still frustrating.

So my PK Subban painting went effing viral on twitter after PK RT'd it. Over 2k likes, hundreds of RTs. It's still going.

I had a ton of people ask for prints. I spent a good deal of money I don't really have to get prints working and a shop (etsy) together. Not a sale. Found out most wanted huge sizes and canvas. We can accommodate up to 2 feet on my friend's massive pro Epson printer. But I opened a Society6 to do canvas.

Grand total of 2 PK prints sold now, 3 others to friends. I need to sell about 13 to break even. I'm glad about the sales I've made, but definitely was led to expect more.

Bleh.

Had a few people tell me they'll buy if the Predators win the Cup.
SO I guess I'm hardcore rooting for Nashville now (I was anyways, eff the Pens). .. . . .. And I will be ready next time with prints if something explodes.

The internet is fickle, and running a tiny business is a butt.

. I retweeted you a couple times and your print, hope it helped, one of these days i'll comission a Schoenfeld from you.

Edited by North Buffalo, 08 June 2017 - 11:00 AM.

#14292 Josie914

Josie914

Eh, I try

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

. I retweeted you a couple times and your print, hope it helped, one of these days i'll comission a Schoenfeld from you.

haha I appreciate it!! And yeah, just let me know!! Apologies if I didn't reply, I'm not sure which twitter handle is yours! Just poke me again and I'll follow. 

I've got 200 new people watching now thanks to all the RT's and help. Social media is so odd. I'm still figuring out twitter etiquette. I'm going to make a bunch of portraits this summer and have them ready to go by the time the season starts. 

Again, I'm not ungrateful, I"m overwhelmed with the awesomeness, but I had a convo with the Columbus Blue Jackets poster guy (anthony Zych) and we were just lamenting that as awesome as RT's and likes are, they don't keep the lights on. 

Better than not having it though!!! 

#14293 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

haha I appreciate it!! And yeah, just let me know!! Apologies if I didn't reply, I'm not sure which twitter handle is yours! Just poke me again and I'll follow. 

I've got 200 new people watching now thanks to all the RT's and help. Social media is so odd. I'm still figuring out twitter etiquette. I'm going to make a bunch of portraits this summer and have them ready to go by the time the season starts. 

Again, I'm not ungrateful, I"m overwhelmed with the awesomeness, but I had a convo with the Columbus Blue Jackets poster guy (anthony Zych) and we were just lamenting that as awesome as RT's and likes are, they don't keep the lights on. 

Better than not having it though!!! 

It's okay. You have the supplies ready to go now, so you'll be more prepared for the next time it happens. 

#14294 spndnchz

spndnchz

Ass. Player Agent

• SS Mod Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,340 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:12 PM

It's okay. You have the supplies ready to go now, so you'll be more prepared for the next time it happens.

Yeah. Call in those favors and network those suppliers.

#14295 SwampD

SwampD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

Truck maintenance (not even repairs). $650 just to get it working the exact same way it did before I paid the $650.

#14296 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

Dealing with effing incompetent people all week at work.  Mostly outside vendors who have promised various things and are either extremely poor at communicating or just not delivering as promised.  I've had to write several very direct and unhappy emails this week and I don't like doing it because it makes me feel angry and hostile, but every one of them deserves to be put on notice because they are keeping me from being able to do my work with their ineptitude.  I don't know how some of these companies can make it so difficult to spend money with them.  It's the end of the fiscal year and crunch time for most of us to get purchases through for use it or lose it funds, but no one else seems to have any sense of urgency.

#14297 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

Nothing like having meetings on campus carry laws because the governor was dumb enough to sign it. There's an hour of my life I should have back.

Edited by ShadowLiger, 08 June 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#14298 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:49 PM

I waited because I didn't want to spoil the thread like I did last week. I've been with her this week. Hospice came and enrolled her today so I could finally give her the first dose of morphine. She's been hungry and craving everything but with the stomach so full of cancer she hasn't tolerated food. My hope is that the dope will ease the pain enough to get food in her belly. She's a long time gardener and wants to see the new plants she bought this year do their thing. We got her a transport chair today to take her out to see things but she didn't have the will after the rigors of visitors. This poor girl only has weeks left. For a hard nose Iron Worker that had thought he'd grown numb over the years, my eyes feel all sorts of soggy and worn out.....
Then I got back to the hotel alone and watched Sid ruin hockey. What a turd.

#14299 Taro T

Taro T

It leads you here despite your destination under the MW tonight.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:55 PM

I waited because I didn't want to spoil the thread like I did last week. I've been with her this week. Hospice came and enrolled her today so I could finally give her the first dose of morphine. She's been hungry and craving everything but with the stomach so full of cancer she hasn't tolerated food. My hope is that the dope will ease the pain enough to get food in her belly. She's a long time gardener and wants to see the new plants she bought this year do their thing. We got her a transport chair today to take her out to see things but she didn't have the will after the rigors of visitors. This poor girl only has weeks left. For a hard nose Iron Worker that had thought he'd grown numb over the years, my eyes feel all sorts of soggy and worn out.....
Then I got back to the hotel alone and watched Sid ruin hockey. What a turd.

Sorry that she's at the point she needs hospice. Glad it is available for her.

I hope she gets to enjoy those plants. Flowers, veggies, or both?

#14300 iTInSn

iTInSn

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:04 PM

Sorry that she's at the point she needs hospice. Glad it is available for her.

I hope she gets to enjoy those plants. Flowers, veggies, or both?

Just flowers this year. I planted 50 periwinkle and a few other things for her today. The nurse practitioner that she is convinced is a doctor saw her yesterday and Mom was telling her how much she hated her oncologist. Then she told her "To be completely honest with you dear, I really didn't like you when I met you either. But you've grown on me and I love you now...". You've met me. Now you know where my openness comes from.

#14301 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

Today is my mother's 75th birthday. My brother and younger sister (along with their spouses) came in from out of town for this. My older sister (she & I live in the same general area as my mother) is organizing the party and she decided to tell everyone to be at her house at 3:30 today. I work until 4 and it would take me at least an hour to get there after work. Not the end of the world, but I would like to hang out with my non-local family members for longer than a few hours.

#14302 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

Canceled our team outing today because of bad weather. So instead of a 1/2 day with golf as the 2nd 1/2, I came in to an email telling me I have a full day. God dammit

#14303 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,209 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

Up until 4AM patching systems last night. Something has to change, that's far too long.

#14304 pastajoe

pastajoe

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

Up until 4AM patching systems last night. Something has to change, that's far too long.

f26be52b193fe04adc278d8272999063.jpg

#14305 Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

Not a Fourth Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

I've had to get up at 3am to start work at 4am. I think that's worse.

Edited by Buffalo Wings, 15 June 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#14306 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

Way to one up his complaint :lol:

#14307 MattPie

MattPie

J-Bot, U-Bot, and We-Bot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,209 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

You're probably right, if I didn't have my daughter jumping on me at 8am (which I didn't really mind, RosePie is adorbs) and in the office at 10AM. I'm too old for this stuff.

Edited by MattPie, 15 June 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#14308 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

I got shot in one of my jewels playing paintball Saturday and it's made for a very uncomfortable week of sitting at work. 

#14309 North Buffalo

North Buffalo

When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

Went down like a nine pin on wet floor but only scraped arm up on xray machine... not enough for a day off but pride... butt hurt.

#14310 biodork

biodork

I love lamp.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:07 PM

The last two evenings I've watched the cleaning lady at work take the broken-down cardboard boxes in the hallway and put them into plastic bags for the trash. There's a recycling dumpster RIGHT NEXT TO the regular trash dumpster outside! >:(

Edited by biodork, 15 June 2017 - 08:10 PM.

#14311 ShadowLiger

ShadowLiger

Third Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:41 AM

I love when ppl expect you to do their grunt work then get pissy with you when you are like okay fine but it isn't a priority I am working on this other major project. Kiss my butt. 

#14312 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

Had a surprise move out of my apartment Tuesday. Was going to move out anyways but it got escalated so I had to take a half day and scramble stuff together. Don't really care as I literally moved into the other unit, but I still got the collateral damage from something I had nothing to do with.

Well, guess it's time to get a pet.

#14313 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

I got shot in one of my jewels playing paintball Saturday and it's made for a very uncomfortable week of sitting at work. 

Same. 

#14314 Eleven

Eleven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 28,435 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

Same. 

If only there were some form of protection that you could use...

#14315 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

If only there were some form of protection that you could use...

I was wearing protection. It uh...snuck under. The guy who tagged me was down a slope from me shooting up. 

#14316 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

Wife lost her job yesterday. I feel terrible for her. The money isn't a concern. And she didn't particularly like her job to begin with. But I don't like feeling helpless when it comes to her. She's incredibly self reliant and independent and would never ask for help, but I can't help myself from wanting to help in anyway that I can.

On the bright side, this will allow her to try and go back to her true passion, which is personal care for the mentally disabled or personal care for the elderly.

I'm going to get her flowers on my way home from work, now. Useless, I know, but it's all I got right now.

#14317 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

Wife lost her job yesterday. I feel terrible for her. The money isn't a concern. And she didn't particularly like her job to begin with. But I don't like feeling helpless when it comes to her. She's incredibly self reliant and independent and would never ask for help, but I can't help myself from wanting to help in anyway that I can.

On the bright side, this will allow her to try and go back to her true passion, which is personal care for the mentally disabled or personal care for the elderly.

I'm going to get her flowers on my way home from work, now. Useless, I know, but it's all I got right now.

Not useless. That's gonna mean a lot more than you think it does I bet. Sorry to hear about your wife, but at least now she can pursue a job she likes

#14318 ubkev

ubkev

First Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

Not useless. That's gonna mean a lot more than you think it does I bet. Sorry to hear about your wife, but at least now she can pursue a job she likes

Oh she definitely appreciated them. And it definitely brightened her day a little. I just feel, actually I don't know what I feel. She's filled out 8 applications and applied for unemployment in the span of 16 hours. The girl is hard as nails and I'm bringing her flowers lol.

#14319 d4rksabre

d4rksabre

Playground King

• Members
  • 31,776 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

Oh she definitely appreciated them. And it definitely brightened her day a little. I just feel, actually I don't know what I feel. She's filled out 8 applications and applied for unemployment in the span of 16 hours. The girl is hard as nails and I'm bringing her flowers lol.

Hey. It matters. Good on ya. 

#14320 WildCard

WildCard

• Members
  • 20,347 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

Still not bad. Maybe go with a bottle next time though :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Off Topic